St JEan Pied de Port


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Roncesvalles
April 20th 2012
Published: April 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well, we finally got here on Wednesday! John dropped us off at Standsted and we got to Biarritz at 3 o´clock in the afternoon. We took a taxi to St Jean Pied de Port and checked in to our hostel L´Esprit du Chemin. It was very nice and Huberta and her husband were very welcoming. They provided dinner plus apperitifs and wine for a very small charge! We met a whole selection of people there, all of whom had different reasons for doing the Camino. We had our pilgrim passports issued and stamped and were advised not to go to Roncevalles via Orisson because the weather was too bad and there was too much snow.

Day 1 St Jean to Valcarlos.

Set off early and had a very pleasant and gentle walk through the old town and into the countryside, avoiding the main road. We got to Arneguy in time for coffee and thought it would be only a few kilometres to reach Valcarlos (at least it should have been!). Being Camino novices, we missed the sign for Valcarlos and ended up walking an extra 4 kilometres uphill, wondering why we couldn´t see Valcarlos. Too late we realised that it was behind us, so we had no alternative but to retrace our steps back down the valley to Valcarlos! The nice hot showers were most welcome to soothe aching limbs! Spent the rest of the day washing and chatting and had a good meal at a local bar. We met a couple from Leicester who were also doing the Camino, and had walked all the way from Le Puy!

Day 2 Valcarlos to Roncesvalles

Set off early again and had to slog up the main road for many kilometres until we reached 1000 metres. We were above the snow line, when we took a very pretty path through the woods which led up to the Col. We were rewarded with beautiful views at the top as the sun came out momentarily. We then descended into Roncesvalles and reached the monastery just as the Angelus was being rung. A very swish new hostel has just opened here and we are, at last, able to use the internet. We´re off for a nice hot shower now and wil probably resume the account on reaching Pamplona.

Advertisement



20th April 2012

St Jean - Roncesvalles
Glad to hear that you're making good progress. I'd forgotten about the snow in the Pyrennees! Sounds like you're having fun, though. The weather back here in the Midlands is pretty abysmal, so you're much better off where you are. Lots of love and best wishes
20th April 2012

St Jean - Roncesvalles
Glad to hear that you're making good progress. I'd forgotten about the snow in the Pyrennees! Sounds like you're having fun, though. The weather back here in the Midlands is pretty abysmal, so you're much better off where you are. Lots of love and best wishes
21st April 2012

Following you..
Sounds like you are both having a good experience..(Hi Monica)... Still on my own daily pilgramage to hospital and Dad..Mum much brighter, but there's never a brother around when you need one... Phil and James have been wonderful....

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb