Arrived in Cizur Menor; 73.1 kms down and 877 kms to go.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Pamplona
September 22nd 2016
Published: September 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Started the day off well and walked 4 kms before stopping at Zuriáin for breakfast. We started early and didn't see many other pilgrims ( travellers/walkers) until we approached Pamplona. On the way we visited the church of Saint Stephen, yes there's more than one of us, and climbed the bell tower to give them a ring. These bells are the oldest in Navarre and it was an honour to be allowed. A kind nun encouraged us to do it and the chimes would have been heard throughout the hills.

I did a quick SIM card purchase at an Orange outlet, had an Iberian jamon bocadillo for lunch, visited the Cathedral, and set off to Cizur Menor. My feet are hurting for a few reasons but swelling is the main one. The walk from Pamplona was on hot concrete all the way. It is great to arrive, shower and survey the new surroundings. This alburgue has lovely, treed, cool outdoor areas and a host who can't do enough for you. The restaurant over the road specialises in grilled meat so that will be dinner.

Tomorrow we walk to Puente la Reina, a lovey village will a remarkable bridge. It's
Breakfast at ZuriáinBreakfast at ZuriáinBreakfast at Zuriáin

Coffee and zucchini tortilla
only 19 kms but mostly steep uphill and the corresponding downhill. It's very hard on your feet but this time I'm trying something innovative; walking in sandles for part of the day. Most of the pics from yesterday never loaded but I'm connected to my phone now so it will be moren successful now. adios compañeros .


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Trinidad de ArreTrinidad de Arre
Trinidad de Arre

The start of Pamplona and the start of 8.7kms on concrete; very wearing.
Confessional at the Cathedral. Confessional at the Cathedral.
Confessional at the Cathedral.

Obviously not required for Esteban Sherry!
The road out of PamplonaThe road out of Pamplona
The road out of Pamplona

Pretty typical and one that's used for the Running of the Bulls


23rd September 2016
The bell tower at S. Esteban's

Ringing the bells!
How great that they let you ring the church bells--very special. Love the old bridges too. Brilliant that you are getting up early to walk to avoid the scorching sun--something I never managed to do. Buen Camino and best wishes for your swollen feet--hope the sandals help!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb