Camino De Santiago...Here We Come!!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Pamplona
October 5th 2014
Published: October 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

U.S. to Pamplona


There she is...There she is...There she is...

A foreshadowing of the backpacks that will own us on the Camino!
Hola!!

After a LONG commute from Spokane, WA to Madrid, Spain that was described as pleasant, uneventful, and hitch-less our journey took a quick turn... After arriving in the Madrid airport we made the decision to continue immediately to Pamplona. Hungry, sleep deprived and out-of-sorts we got our tickets for a 6+ hour bus ride after a slight swindling from the ticket sellers. Yes...we've been had more than once since arriving in Spain. The people of Madrid rushed us constantly to make decisions and commit to their "deals"...it wasn't until halfway through our bumpy bus ride when a woman tried to cut in the bathroom line that we, literally, stood our ground. My foot firmly planted in front of the door she tried to shut on us we adamantly refused giving up our bathroom, which we paid for, because she "had to get to the bus". "We do to!" We exclaimed. And out she went...FINALLY! We experienced our first victory since arriving.

The sun had set and we arrived to Pamplona, a city alive after dark. Map in hand, we were obviously tourists seeking an albergue (hostel) and were fortunate to run into fellow peregrinos (pilgrims) who directed us to the Jesus Y Maria Albergue! Exhausted, we got our credenciales (Camino Passport), set up our bunks, and grabbed a shower. Stephanie and I hopped out for a bit before curfew to taste some local cuisine and enjoy a glass of vino to help us relax for bed. People surrounding us speak a rapid tounge of Spanish and are clearly used to dining after 10pm.

When we awoke this morning, everyone in the albergue rushing to get their packs on and hit the trail, we strolled down the calle (street) to a Panaderia (bakery) to fill up on fresh pastries and coffee. Killing a few hours before we meet up with Eileen at the bus station, we are feeling the excitement of getting on the Camino. Hopefully you will join us on this journey...Buen Camino!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

I Spy...I Spy...
I Spy...

Spokane Airport...already tired after a restless night of anticipation...can you find Stephy?!
Shuttles....Shuttles....
Shuttles....

Spirits were boosted (ever so briefly) after landing in Madrid
Endless ShuttlesEndless Shuttles
Endless Shuttles

Back and forth in the Airport...OYE!
CredencialesCredenciales
Credenciales

Our Camino Passports being stamped for the first time!
TapasTapas
Tapas

Just point to what you want! This cost less than just the two drinks would be in the U.S.
NightlifeNightlife
Nightlife

Enjoying our vino on the calle, the city is abuzz with people enjoying tapas and conversations (about coffee? We eavesdropped :) )
AlberguesAlbergues
Albergues

Our first albergue: check out the roof we slept under :)
Finally!!Finally!!
Finally!!

Bedding down for the night EXHAUSTED and excited all at the same time.


5th October 2014

I'm so excited to watch and ready about your journey!
7th October 2014

Yay!
We're glad you're coming on this journey with us!
5th October 2014

Hair!?
did steph chop off her hair!?
7th October 2014

Hair?!
Yup! She's cut it off! She says "I smell". huelo como serhumano.
13th October 2014

I love seeing the photos and sharing a part of your journey this way. You ladies are inspirational to me!!
13th October 2014
Shuttles....

Adventure
Lenny! I'm so glad you are blogging! I hope you and Squiggy have the adventure of a lifetime. Love you!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb