A promise kept


Advertisement
Europe » Spain » Galicia
August 22nd 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.3718, -8.39592A deep sleep ... I didn't want to wake up from such serene slumber ... 7 solid hours - way better than the 3-4 I've been averaging the past couple of weeks. It was much needed, but I needed even more - unfortunately the insane backpacker within reared his ugly head and dragged me out of bed so that I could get this trip started! Off to San Agustin market for breakfa... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

zgzg
zg

Snack time - peach on the beach!
zhzh
zh

The incoming tide almost takes over the entire beach, in certain areas.
zeze
ze

Funny - both these ladies held newspaper flyers in front of their faces to block out the sun, for most of their conversation. Funny because while it's nice to look out at the ocean, if the sun bothers you so much, why not just go elsewhere?
zfzf
zf

Surprisingly, a ton of people were laid out on towels along the beachfront promenade, rather than on the beach itself. Seemed to defeat the purpose of going to the beach, but when in Spain, you do whatever makes you happy!
zizi
zi

Movistar put on a little festival in the city centre - this was what they called a "Fingerpark", a skate park for miniature skateboards you controlled using your fingers.
xx
x

Sign in gallego - looks a bit like Spanish, and a bit like Portuguese.
zkzk
zk

Finally, I found a Spanish girl to marry me. Well, she didn't actually say yes to my proposal, but she didn't say no, either. So instead, I asked her "Will you marry me? If the answer is no, don't say a word and remain perfectly still." The law will recognize that as a yes, right?
zczc
zc

Tiny little staircase in the pension. It was easier just to go outside and use the main building stairwell.
zjzj
zj

4 Euros for a litre of beer! Cheap!
zozo
zo

There was a free exhibit in town, called the Bodegon Espanol - it was a lot like Flemish art, but inspired by wine and grapes. The art wasn't all that great, but one of the female security guards was what you would consider a work of art :) Did I mention that I'm loving La Coruna? And that there's nothing better than a Spanish senorita wearing funky glasses? I purposely ripped a painting off the wall in the hopes that she would tackle me to the ground and handcuff me. But sadly, that didn't happen :( The museum had a digital exhibit that was better than the Bodegon Espanol. There was a cool table that you tipped to get certain things to happen, but it proved to be too much work. They had a skateboarding game that took you on a tour through Santiago de Compostela, but I didn't have much luck with it.
zlzl
zl

The bread was tough, and pretty blah. The Estrella beer was good - I don't think I've had it since I was in the Canary Islands.
zmzm
zm

Berberechos - a type of clam I heard about while watching an episode of Spain: On the Road Again. Plain, but very sweet. Too bad they were gritty. This dish really summer up Spanish food - they have some of the best seafood and produce you can get, but never seem to do much with it. Good chorizo.
znzn
zn

Calamari - greasy but crisp and decent. It ended up being a pretty expensive dinner, by Spanish standards.
mm
m

La Coruna has a Toledo-esque old town at night.
nn
n

The night tour of La Coruna continues ...
oo
o

... past unknown buildings ...
pp
p

... past churches (I think) ...
qq
q

.. and over to Plaza Santa Maria - cool! Reminiscent of the big plaza in Barcelona's gothic quarter. There was a symphony playing this evening, as well as last night. I only caught the end of it.
zpzp
zp

Galicia is quite windy, so many of the terraces are enclosed in glass.
zqzq
zq

Saw these etchings on a plaza near the San Agustin market. Not sure why, but La Coruna seems to have a thing for cartoons.



7th October 2009

You're not supposed to eat the wax...
11th July 2010

The official name of the city is A Coru?a, after decades being banned.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb