Sabrayo to Arzua


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia
June 23rd 2009
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 43


Sunday 10th May



The day that greeted us was once again beautiful with blue skies but not too hot. The path today was the best in quite a few days as now that we have joined up with the Coastal Camino we are on a more travelled route, complete with lovely gravel paths following the road (so much nicer on the feet than bitumen).



We made really good time, reaching Arzua just after 1pm. We were passed by a procession of motorcyclists on the way into town and it turned out that there was a festival that day in town, complete with market stalls and a concert that night. So after checking into the albergue we set out to enjoy a late lunch of pulpo (octopus) and ribs. Pulpo was a bit slimy but tasted quite nice, and chewing tentacles didn’t freak me out anywhere near as much as I thought it would!



After a quick walk through the stalls and a taste of churroz (basically donut sticks - the chocolate covered ones are divine! (for the taste-buds that is, proabably not so divine for the hips...!)), it was back to the albergue for some cards. We have now officially joined the Camino Frances and so are surrounded by many many pilgrims for the first time on our trip.



In order to obtain the compestello (certificate for completing the Camino), you only need to technically walk 100km, so many pilgrims are still in the painful first stages of walking (not that we ever really progressed past that stage), and so we watched on sympathetically as they all limped down the stairs to the shower.



Back upstairs in the albergue we noticed that the second smaller dorm room had been opened so we quickly moved all our stuff in there so as to reduce our chances of encountering a snorer. It was a good move as the room also had a small veranda attached to it and there was a storm brewing, so we sat out there and watched the clouds roll in. There was a bit of thunder and lightning but nothing like our fantastic summer storms back home.



For dinner we headed off to the local pizzeria. The pizzas were pretty yum - nice and cheesy which was a welcome change after Pizza Hut’s cheese restrictions! I left the others watching football and headed back to the albergue for a good night’s rest.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A water fountainA water fountain
A water fountain

- Day 43 -
Cheers!Cheers!
Cheers!

- Day 43 -
PulpoPulpo
Pulpo

- Day 43 -


Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb