Mototour 2007 - day 8


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia
June 8th 2007
Published: January 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Picos de EuropaPicos de EuropaPicos de Europa

beautiful mountain roads

MOTOTOUR 2007


Day 8: Mundaka to La Carridad
Distance: 444 km (of 8,667 km total)

Left Mundaka behind in the fog, drove towards los Picos de Europa. Bad weather continuously on our back, but we managed to escape it. Los Picos de Europa is a fantastic mountainous park, amazingly picturesque, like being inside a postcard. The scatterings of small villages: all very alive, with people in them, and neat houses with flowers - a big contrast to France's dying, deserted villages. Winding roads!

We didn't manage to drive many km. today. Once back on the coast, the bad weather caught us with a vengeance. We found ourselves in a vicious storm. Despite our good rain clothes, we were getting damp and fighting strong winds. There was poor visibility, road works and traffic diversions, and this presented a few close calls.

In this weather it really wasn't easy to find a camping site from the motorway at all. Zak's hands were wet and freezing from driving in 6 to 8º Celsius (41 to 46º F.) temperatures, and we had to stop and take refuge in a posh restaurant at one point before continuing.

Once on the Camino de
Picos de EuropaPicos de EuropaPicos de Europa

winding mountain roads
Compostelle we were too exhausted from the driving conditions, and chose a camping site a little too hastily. We ended up in a really damp, slimy place with humid soil and slugs everywhere: Camping Castello.

The owner was still working on the grounds, and everything was in shaky condition. Three cats came to welcome us though (or check us for food). We immediately named one Ponderoso, another Biscotte, and the last one Big Mama.

After a warm shower, we were given the address for a local restaurant in the next village a few km. away. The food there was good and hearty, despite the busybody looks and rude stares we received for the social crime of being outsiders. Galicians are not as friendly as Basque natives.

The bad weather stayed with us for the rest of the night. But we had no trouble sleeping in the cold damp air.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Picos de EuropaPicos de Europa
Picos de Europa

beautiful mountain views on the road to Portugal


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb