Viking Festival of Catoira


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
August 2nd 2010
Published: August 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=iirNU6qLrZo][youtube=etZu4eZwb1A][youtube=p5CrqxsLLzI][youtube=8j6BPm26xFs][youtube=bpVyA3RodCE][youtube=TFCWyd-EsH8][youtube=z6Jv4vHBThM][youtube=9nc1sen0vpU][youtube=JhitFzs1R18][youtube=Ta0O1WEcpFk][youtube=uc35jYKS9_s][youtube=3k-40ZTUVZY][youtube=pXA9I-msl8w]The Viking Festival went off today without a hitch. I was once again grateful for the tiny Ibiza as maneuvering around the tiny streets of Catoira in back to back traffic trying to find a parking spot was no easy task - especially when you try to park in someone's overgrown yard and they ask you to move with a boulder in front of you, a ditch to the one side and a sharp incline to the other... again, praises to the Ibiza.

The festival folks were in high spirits when we arrived as the stilt walkers breathed fire into the sky and the drum beats droned on. Vendors sold food and the wine flowed (maybe a little too much for some folks as there were already people passed out before the Viking ships even arrived). It was a festive atmosphere and folks were truly enjoying themselves, celebrating what's made their town great.

Hearing the Viking horns start to blow and watching the drummers start to make their way to the water's edge told us the ships were arriving. Two large Viking vessels could be seen trudging down the river toward us, Vikings atop, and the crowd went wild. As they got close to shore, the Vikings jumped into the water, complete with weaponry and kegs of wine on their shoulders and made their way to land. Bagpipes and drums filled the air as the Vikings cheered and battered open any empty kegs with their clubs. The townsfolk again went wild!

The food at the festival was over the top and larger than life. Donuts the size of a personal pizza, loaves of bread that were the size of a cinder block and plates piled high with octopus. Thankfully there were fried chorizo sandwiches that were fabulous (basically like a fried up sausage) so I was spared from another octopus meal.

Weather here is gorgeous and even a little on the chilly side. Jeans were welcomed today but as 3pm hit, so did the heat. I'm starting to "get" when it's time for siesta - when it gets hot out! We headed back to the compound to take our nap and get ready for the nights festivities that begin again at 10:30pm.

Back to Catoira after our siesta brought new life to the "day" as the town was lit with colorful lights and the band that played in the town center could be heard a few blocks away. We had a light dinner at an outdoor cafe before making our way to the Viking Restaurant for drinks and coffee. People watching there was fabulous since most folks had been drinking since this morning. Quite an experience.

We wrapped up the evening confiscating festival posters from some of the store fronts and headed back to the compound.

Tomorrow, we are off to Leon where we'll stay in a Monastery originally built by the Knights of Santiago. T Once a hospital and even a prison, the now "hostel" should be an interesting experience.

Don't forget to check out the festival videos and pics below. For those of you in work, the videos do have sound.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



18th October 2011

good ship
i love vikings.
18th October 2011

good ship
i love vikings.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb