Pigs ears & pulpo


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
April 29th 2007
Published: April 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So Salamanca farewelled us with pouring rain and freezing temperatures (about 5 degrees celsius). I (Jane) had a little bit of and interesting lunch at the bus station after deciding to try something different. Well, through the glass window in the bar, it definitely looked like a concoction involving oyster mushrooms and smelt great...I am sure that I had seen it in other bars. On closer inspection once back at the table, Adam said, "Jane, they looking suspiciously like an animal product"...."don't be silly Adam, they are mushrooms". Adam was right though, as he quite often is, and after taking a bite I realised that I was eating a porkers ears. Adam thought this was hilarious and spent the whole bus trip oinking at me. It put me off my food for at least 6 hours.

Santiago de Compostela was our next destination in the beautiful province of Galacia. It was like driving once again into a different Spain altogether, and you can really see the Celtic influence. People in Santiago speak a slightly different version of Spanish called Galacian, which threw us for a loop again and sounded a little like French. We arrived in Santiago at 10pm
Santiago de Compostela Cathedral Santiago de Compostela Cathedral Santiago de Compostela Cathedral

The destination of the important medieval pilgrimage route, the Camino de Santiago.
on a Saturday night with no where to stay. After walking around feeling a little apprehensive for an hour or so, we stumbled across a great little pension, which just happened to be around the corner from some great little restaurants. Adam's spirits were revived by "the best chorizo I have had in Spain so far" and I was back into eating after trying the great fried pimentos.

Santiago is quite a busy tourist town, and it the final destination of the important medieval pilgrimage route, the Camino de Santiago. We saw many weary looking walkers and cyclists around the catherdral, but I doubt if all of them had started in France. Adam had quite a few food highlights in Santiago, but on the last night, he finally had some pulpo la galega(I think the picture says it all really) and was impressed...while Jane looked on in disgust at the thought of eating legs, even though she had recently eaten pigs ears!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The University of Santiago de Compostela The University of Santiago de Compostela
The University of Santiago de Compostela

One of the oldest universities in the world.


8th May 2007

you guys are having way too much fun. love reading the blogs. kinda feels like we are travelling with you. definately know your way around the bars you two. we are so very jealous and cant wait for the next blog xx
19th May 2007

sangia or morning sickness?
hello guys great to see you both kicking up your heels and riding lifes top waves, sorry about the upchucking jane, no little babies on the way maybee? after all you are honeymooners!!! Miss you Adds Love daniellexx
20th May 2007

Internet cafes
How did you two have time to do so much and to write all these travel blogs. I logged on expecting to see one for Spain, not six. Keep up the good work. Madrid sounded good, have to go and check it out some time.
20th May 2007

Well I'll be
Do you two really get to edit each reply. Well lets see if this one gets through. Geez you are both looking fat. I suppose a diet of English ale, pork pies, chorizo and sangria takes its toll. I hope you get a good job Jane, you two are going to have to fly back business class.

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb