Between contemplation and suffering: From Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Pontevedra
September 21st 2023
Published: September 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

It is always nice, to start in a busy town like Pontevedra and coming to the silence of the countryside. It is just a bit special that one requires 40 minutes to get out of town, as one walks on foot… Again a market was on the way which is worth a short detour.

The paths and roads today has been - as announced by some locals - especially nice. Fields, forests and villages. Only very little of the 24km have been along busy roads with heavy traffic.

However it was felt that we are now on the principal route to Santiago de Compostela. The indication was foremost the number of people. Crowded crossroads, bars and a need of toilets were the consequences. The atmosphere is very peaceful. Nice discussions in the places were one can drink and eat. We meet now people again we have met in the days before. All have the same path, all arrive in the same village in the afternoon, the fast goers and the slow movers. Some suffer from the daily long distances and limp, other walk, listening to music or being contemplated in their thoughts. Experiences are exchanged at the next lunch-stop or when meeting in the final destination.

Caldas de Reis is a small beautiful town with a lovely riverbank. The restaurants and tourism is fully oriented on the Camino. Lots of cheap Alberges. A pilgrims menu comes to 7-12 EUR, there are basically to expensive restaurants to find in town. However the food is good, done with simple ingredients.

Caldas is know for the mineral spings of hot wells. On some spots hot water fountains are in the public. Of course it was a good idea to cure the feet after 24km in the hot water and walk through the town. Some more stamps can always be found to complete the collection in the pilgrims pass.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb