The anti-crist bollocks


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » La Coruña
July 27th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SantanderSantanderSantander

statues of children who used to jump in the water to "fish"money that people threw to them / estatuas de ninos que se tiraban al agua para "pescar" dinero que les lanzaba la gente
All of you who have been waiting for something to happen know how slowly the time goes...but, even slowly it DOES go...so we finally have left our jobs, our house and our routine to go and search for the unknown and explore the world...or almost...


As a kind of a training, we start our trip on familiar lands, where we can understand the language and know people...because you have a house where you have friends...


We were in Santander a couple of years ago, and the highlight was a "cave expedition" which we wanted to do again...


But this time we weren't so lucky... our own private cave-guide was on holidays himself so we couldn't do it again... it was quite disappointing, really, as it is a fantastic experience, but we went river-rafting kind of thing instead... there is a famous race in the north of Spain every year called el descenso del Sella so we decided to do it under our own terms...well, us and another thousand people!!! but aparently we were lucky becasuse, the previous day, which was a sunny saturday, more than two thousand people decided to paddle down stream... On the way to Arrionda we thought of quitting because the weather was bleak, but then we realised we were going to get wet anyway so...what the hell!!!... and get wet we did... trying our best not to crash with the confusingly orientated canoes that seemed to be trying to capsize each other, we made our way, in a record of two and a half hours, to Cangas de Onis, about 13 kms further down... we were told that, normally, it takes between 4 and 6...I guess that it was so fu*#ing cold that we wanted to get there asap... and that was even before we knew what was waiting for us in Oviedo, our next stop: we arrived that afternoon feeling a bit hungry and we were drunk and stuffed an hour later, thanks to the unbeatable hospitality of Alberto, a super-cool, always smiling catholic priest who, not only opened his house for us, but also 14 bottles of cider... he welcomed us with a espicha, which is typical meal from Asturias, with 5 main items: boiled eggs, Spanish omelette, chorizos (cooked in cider!!), fruit and as much cider as you can; it is eaten as you stand, no chairs, and we were lucky enough to enjoy it on his church terrace, while the sun was slowly setting down...


The next day Alberto took us on a (mainly) church tour around old Oviedo; he is an open book in many subjects and he explained every single detail on every church, street and statues (which Oviedo has many!) of the city... and, of course, he bought another two bottles of cider on the way... he wouldn't even listen to us trying to tell him we wanted to pay... I must say it now: hospitality in Asturias is going to be difficult to beat...


And so, completely stuffed with chorizo and cider, we went back to Santander (stoping in San Vicente de la Barquera first for a beautiful sunset) for the night, were Pelayo's parents had a fantastic dinner waiting for us (who said in Spain is only eating and drinking??). The next day we drove a bit more and went to see some sad looking animals in Cabarceno zoo (lions should be in Africa... free them now!!!) and to Santillana del Mar, which is a fantastic medieval cozy little town where you feel you have traveled in time
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sleeping in the train / durmiendo en el tren
back to the 15th century, except, I guess, for the lack of shit-smell and the abundance of cars...and where we found the anti-crist bollocks, the day after we slept in a church, so I guess we're covered for sins...anyway, who on earth thought of giving the name "the anti-crist bollocks" to a sweet, I wonder... but I think it is a success, because if you ask me to name any brand on that shop... well, that's the only one I remember!!!


We finally made it to San Sebastian, or Donosti (aupa Aimartxu!!) where we eat one too many pintxos and drank even more cider because, aparently, we didn't had enough in Asturias... there, I started to work on my tan on the beautiful beaches of Ondarreta and La Concha, we went to hear a couple of jazz concerts for free on the beach (Bobby McFerrin and the Orfeon Donostiarra, The Mungolian Jet Set (yes, with an u) and a couple more that, to be honest, I don't remember the names...), went on Maria's father's boat (ok, not me, I was hangover and I knew I was going to be sea sick... I admit I regret BIG TIME when
bump / chichonbump / chichonbump / chichon

someone capsized / a alguien se le dio la vuelta la canoa
I saw the pictures ... aaagghh!!!), we walked the city and I overcome (kind of) one of my many fears: I swam ON MY OWN from the shore to a platform in the sea... it wasn't to far (but I'm useless with distances so it could have been 25, 50 or 100 mts) but it seemed ages to me and I nearly died, but I defeated all those evil sea creatures who hide in the dephts waiting to eat my toes...I arrived sound and save to the platform with all my toes just to realised that I had to swim back...shit!!!


One of the highlights of the whole trip was to be able to spend some time with my beloved Juan: he was my house mate in Guildford for a few months and I fell in love (in a non erotic way, remember I'll be married in October, people!!) with his blue eyes and his amazing sense of humor... even though he told me the first day that he "had changed and he wasn't so funny any more", I left Donosti with muscle pains in my tummy from all the laughing we did, specially when we remebered "old
stones / piedrasstones / piedrasstones / piedras

having a lunch break down the Sella / parada para comer bajando el Sella
times in Guildford", at 3 a.m., in a parking lot, drinking beers and smoking hash... it was perfect!!!


Saying good bye is sad, specially if you don't know when you'll see your friends next and, most of the gang that came to Spain won't be in England in September for our last days there before the "big trip" so, for them I want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for everything: you opened your houses to us, took us to the best places in your cities, showed your friends and families and were fantastic to us... I hope we will get together soon and we can have another great holiday again!!!


After 12 hours in a train we finally arrived to my family home in Galicia, and now we have 4 weeks to relax on the beach and put some weight on so we can lose it again on the bikes...we don't have room for some more cider, but we have for queimada...




Los cojones del anticristo





Cuando esperas algo con ansia, el tiempo pasa muy despacio...pero, aunque lento, PASA, asi que, finalmente, hemos dejado el trabajo, la casa
SellaSellaSella

the landscape was spectacular / el paisaje era espectacular
y la rutina para ir en busca de lo desconocido y explorar el mundo...o casi...


Como una espacie de entrenamiento, empezamos el viaje en tierras familiares, donde podemos entender el idioma y conocemos a gente, porque siempre tienes casa donde tienes amigos...


Estuvimos en Santander hace un par de años y, lo mejor, fue una "excursion" a una cueva y queriamos hacerlo otra vez...


Pero esta vez no tuvimos tanta suerte ya que nuestro guia privado estaba de vacaciones y no pudimos bajar a las cuevas...fue un poco decepcionante ya que habia sido una experiencia fantastica, pero nos fuimos a hacer el descenso del Sella en lugar de llorar por el agua derramada, bajo nuestras propias condiciones... bueno, nosotros y otras mil personas mas!!! aunque parece ser que tuvimos suerte ya que, el dia anterior que habia sido sabado y ademas, soleado, unas dos mil personas decidieron remar rio abajo... en el camino a Arrionda estabamos pensando en dejarlo para otro dia (como si tuvieramos mas dias!!!), pero luego decidimos que, como nos ibamos a mojar igual, pues pa'lante!!!... y vaya si nos mojamos!!!... intentando no chocar con las demas canoas que eran como
CovadongaCovadongaCovadonga

Fooling with Don Pelayo / haciendo el tonto con Don Pelayo
pez fuera del agua y que parecian intentar hacer caer a todas las demas, llegamos, muy mojados, y en un tiempo record de dos horas y media, a Cangas de Onis, unos 13 kms rio abajo... nos dijeron que, normalmente, se tarda entre 4 y 6 horas, pero supongo que seria por el frio que intentamos llegar lo antes posible... y eso fue incluso antes de saber lo quenos esperaba en Oviedo, nuestra proxima parada: llegamos por la tarde un poco hambrientos y, una hora despues estabamos borrachos y llenisimos, gracias a la inmejorable hospitalidad de Alberto, un modernisimo y siempre sonriente cura catolico que, no solo nos abrio su casa, sino tambien 14 botellas de sidra... nos dio la bienvenida con una espicha, que es una comida asturiana en la que se come de pie y que consta de cinco "ingredientes": huevos cocidos, tortilla, chorizos a la sidra, fruta y tanta sidra como puedas beber... tuvimos la suerte de degustarla en la terraza de su iglesia, al atardecer...


Al dia siguiente Alberto nos llevo de excursion a ver el casco antiguo (y principalmente sus iglesias) de Oviedo; el hombre es un libro abierto y sabe de todo,
oviedooviedooviedo

Alberto's house / en casa de Alberto
asi que nos explico cada detalle de las iglesias, calles y estatuas (las cuales son muchas en Oviedo!!) de la ciudad...y, por supuesto, nos compro otras dos botellas de sidra... no queria ni oirnos decir que queriamos pagar... debo decir ahora que la hospitalidad asturiana va a ser dificil que mejorar...


Asi que, completamente llenos de chorizo y sidra, volvimos a Santander (parando a ver la puesta del sol en San Vicente de la Barquera, pero sin encontrar a Busta), donde los padres de Pelyo nos esperaban con una cena estupenda (¿quien dice que en España solo se bebe y se come?). Al dia siguiente fuimos a ver los tristisimos animales del zoo de Cabarceno (los leones deberian estar en Africa... liberadlos ya!!!) y a Santillana del Mar, que es una ciudad medieval preciosa que te hace sentir que retrocedes en el tiempo al siglo XV excepto, supongo, por la abundancia de coches y la falta de olor a mierda... y fue alli donde encontramos los cojones del anticristo (justo al dia siguiente de dormir en una iglesia. asi que supongo que compensa!!)... ¿a quien se le ocurriria la idea de nombrar un dulce "los cojones del anticristo"?, me pregunto yo...


Finalmente llegamos a San Sebastian o Donostia (aupa Aimartxu!!), donde comimos demasiados pintxos y bebimos demasiadas sidras, parece ser que no tuvimos suficiente en Asturias; empece a currarme mi bronceado en las preciosas playas de Ondarrieta y La Concha; fuimos a un par de conciertos de jazz gratis en la playa (Bobby McFerrin con el Orfeon Donostiarra, The Mungolian Jet Set y mas de los cuales, la verdad, no meacuerdo de los nombres...); fuimos en el barco del padre de Maria (bueno, vale, yo no, porque tenia resaca y sabia que me iba a marear...pero me arrepenti tan pronto como vi las fotos); caminamos por la ciudad y me deshice (mas o menos) de uno de mis multiples miedos: nade YO SOLA desde la playa a una plataforma en el mar... no estaba muy lejos (admito que mi sentido de la distancia es nulo, asi que podian haber sido 25, 50 o 100 mts), pero me llevo lo que a mi me parecieron horas y ademas casi me ahogo, pero derrote a todas esas malignas criaturas marinas que esperan en las profundidades a que yo pase para arrancarme los dedos de los pies... llegue sana
slurpslurpslurp

more cider / mas sidra
y salva a la plataforma en posesion de todos mis dedos...solo para darme cuenta de que tenia que volver... mierda!!!


Una de las mejores cosas de este viaje fue el poder pasar tiempo con mi queridisimo Juan: fue mi compañero de piso durante unos meses en Guildford y me enamore ( en una manera no erotica, que me caso en Octubre gente!!!) de sus ojos azules y su sentido del humor... cuando llego me dijo "quilla, yo he cambiado, me he tranquilizado y ya no soy tan gracioso como antes"... y aun asi me fui de Donosti con agujetas de tanto reirme, sobre todo cuando estuvimos recordando "viejos tiempos" de Guildford, a las 3 de la mañana, en un aparcamiento, bebiendo cerveza y fumando hachis... fue perfecto!!!


Decir adios siempre es triste, pero sobre todo lo es si no sabes cuando volveras a ver a tus amigos y, la mayoria de los que nos juntamos para este viaje por el Norte, no estaran en Inglaterra en septiembre, cuando volvamos para pasar alli nuestros ultimos dias antes del "gran viaje", asi que, les quiero decir a todos ellos MUCHAS GRACIAS POR TODO: Nos abristeis vuestras casas, nos
oviedooviedooviedo

fisherman / pescador
llevasteis a los mejores sitios de las cuidades, nos presentasteis a vuestras familia y amigos y nos tratasteis fantasticamente... espero que nos veamos pronto y volvamos a tener otras vacaciones come estas!!!

Despues de 12 horas en tren llegamos, por fin, a Galicia, donde pasaremos 4 semanas relajados en la playa y engordando para tener fuerzas en las bicis... ya no tenemos sitio para mas sidra...pero si para queimada


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

oviedooviedo
oviedo

fish seller / vendedora de pescado
oviedooviedo
oviedo

pottery maker / alfarera
oviedooviedo
oviedo

motherhood 1 / maternidad 1
oviedooviedo
oviedo

motherhood 2 / maternidad 2
San Miguel de LilloSan Miguel de Lillo
San Miguel de Lillo

Chilling / descansando
Santillana del MarSantillana del Mar
Santillana del Mar

beautiful medieval house / casa medieval preciosa
Santillana del MarSantillana del Mar
Santillana del Mar

anticrist bollocks / cojones del anticristo
San Vicente de la BarqueraSan Vicente de la Barquera
San Vicente de la Barquera

stuning sunset / puesta de sol increible
AsturiasAsturias
Asturias

this is what happens to you when you drink too much cider / esto es lo q te pasa cuando bebes mucha sidra


Tot: 0.422s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 35; qc: 139; dbt: 0.1936s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb