Madrid!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
September 11th 2006
Published: September 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

View from our roomView from our roomView from our room

not too shabby eh? ANNND we can get a hooker any time day or night right outside our doorway (on the street, not in the hotel). The area doesn´t seem too dodgy, not sure why they´re there, but there they are. oh well.
Madrid

We arrived in Madrid yesterday (9/10 Kariann´s Birthday!!) in much better shape than we´d anticipated, having slept on and off on the train. We found Hostal Orly, reccomended by Lonely Planet, easily enough and were pleased with both the room and the price (45 Euros). We dropped our bags there but the room wasn´t ready so we went and found some breakfast (the cheapest we´ve seen on the trip so far, pretty much including peru) at a place called Pans and Company which looks like a major chain but I´ve never heard of it. I´m off coffee again, it´s too expensive here in Europe to be a daily habit, so the combo with fresh orange juice and a tortilla (egg, potato and chile) sandwich for 2.50 was great. We walked around a bit, saw a park and an ancient egyptian temple (Templo de Debod) that was moved piece by piece to Spain to save it from the rising waters of the Aswan Dam. Around noon we made our way back to the hostel to nap a bit and take some much needed showers. It´s hot here in Spain as well but the mornings are nice and cool, so that´s
view the other wayview the other wayview the other way

no too many pictures of Madrid as of yet, but I´ll try to post more later.
a break at least. Later in the afternoon we hit the Madrid Vision double decker tourist bus - I´m telling you these things are great I´m going to do one of LA when I get back if anyone wants to join...) and then walked around seening the main plazas by foot and hunting down a tapas bar for some seafood and beer. Strange how big seafood is here, last time I checked there´s not really an ocean nearby... oh well. Back to the hostal for an early bed time (by spain standards anything before 4 is early, from what I hear).

Today, which is 9/11, we went for a run in the big main park here and then found a little exercise playground area to do some pushups and whatnot. It made a nice change from sightseeing, which one can only take so much of, and then we set out to find a laundry that actually works. Yesterday we found one, dumped 5.50 Euros in as requested and ... nothing. No money back, no machine working, no people there (this being sunday) to help us. We were pretty pissed needless to say. But finally managed to get ourselves some clean clothes today and are feelign much better about the world. Our hotel room is very nice with great views from the seventh floor and a little balcony from which to take them in. Now we´re in the Internet place (obviously) furiously catching up on all these adventures.

So far Europe has been great, if a little rushed after the time luxury we had with two months in Peru. Today has been a much needed day off from the tourist sights but tomorrow we plan to visit the prado museum. We´re off again most likely on the 13th (happy birthday to Amy and Michel) for Zaragosa about half way between here and Barcelona, and then on to Barcelona after that. I´ll try to be better about keeping up with this stuff! Anyway we are safe and very happy and hope all of you are as well. Much love until next time...

Advertisement



11th September 2006

Nightlife
Keep the blogs coming as they put a smile on my face. If your burning watery eyes can stand the cigarette smoke, the nightlife can be pretty interesting in Spain’s metropolitan areas. Clubs open very late and the masses seem to magically move from venue to venue like clockwork in one evening. Caution, the next morning you will likey find yourselves emerging at the onset of siesta and most things will be shutting down including the fountains in Barcelona. Happy trails.
12th September 2006

OK Great!!, now lear to dance Flamenco. Love you
12th September 2006

Hola!!
those picture seems like Buenos Aires; i think you're are spending a good time there, Spain it's a very beatiful place to go, good luck and enjoy life!!!!

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb