Rain in Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Aragon » Zaragoza
September 14th 2006
Published: September 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We´re currently in Zaragoza Spain and, like much of the region, it is pouring down rain. We arrived via the high speed train (so nice) from Madrid yesterday afternoon and it was seriously gorgeous. The air was nice and cool and the sun was out and it was beautiful. So we went out to explore the town once we found a hostel and set down our bags. we saw about 700 bridal shops, one of which is the designer that I really like (yes, mom, I plan to go in and check it out) and about 700 religious trinket shops and some staples like Zara (a clothing chain that is also in the us now.)

We visited a huge church that was built where, just after the death of Jesus, St. James the Apostle saw the Virgen on top of a marble pillar. This is a major pilgrimage point now which explains the religious trinkets, and you can also kiss part of the pillar. I didn´t. There are also a couple of bombs in the church which fell on it during the Civil war but didn´t explode. It´s a beautiful church.

As we came out of the church last night we realized that the clouds moving in were rather dark. Then it started to rain. Hard. so we managed to find our way back to the hostel, stopping in at a grocery on the way to pick up some breakfast for today and some water. The storm turned out to be pretty nasty with thunder and lightening and really heavy rain. It kept us in, so we turned on the tv and found out that the whole region is experiencing heavy rain, flooding, tornadoes (in barcelona, our next stop) and the like. fantastic.

Today we woke up late and it was still raining. we went out in it hoping to find a cafe where we could sit for a while and catch up on some journaling and stuff. We stopped in one that turned out to be a bar, very smoky, with a breakfast menu that included several combos served with wine or beer. we ended up ordering some tea before we realized we didn´t want to be in there long enough to drink tea. But drink it we did and tried to formulate a new plan.

We ended up getting some lunch at a chain sandwich shop and then trying to track down an internet cafe. WE walked all the way to one, only to find it closed, and then managed to spot the one we´re in now. The rain seems to have let up a little, and we have about a half hour left on the computers. This means in about 25 minutes the rain will become torrential again, this is how our luck goes. 😊 but that´s ok. We´re having a grea time anyway. sorry for the lack of photos, I didn´t bring the cord... shucks. Anyway as always take care of yourselves and send me some messages if you find the time.

Till next time...

Advertisement



29th September 2006

Hello
Just thinking about you guys---thought I'd say hi! I love this journal; a great way to share with us and also to have as your memory... continue with the fun. Much love, Nancy

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb