240kmh


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
October 21st 2014
Published: October 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Excitement began to surge through our bodies as we prepared to leave Santiago de Compostela, after completing our 500 mile, 800km Camino or The Way of St. James. We are now on our way. A taxi ride to the railway station for a 9.05am train ride, only to discover the train had a mechanical failure. After 45 minutes hold-up we were on our way to Madrid, a 6 hour ride through magnificent country, rugged mountains, plains, farming, communities both large & small. The most thrilling part was going through tunnel after tunnel, some miles long. The trains are fast trains, traveling at high speed. One tunnel we were in went right under the mountain range for some 15 minutes; we were traveling at speeds up to 240kmh, which gives you an idea of the distance. It was a thrilling experience.

There was a dining car, and we had a couple of visits to buy food. Roger went once, and was returning with coffee, chips, tobblerone (all had health food content), when the train lurched and coffee went all over him, burnt his sunken chest (oops, I mean chest). The remainder of the trip it smelt like he was wearing coffee colonge. The train station in Madrid in very large, but well organized; on arrival we caught a taxi to the hotel , and began exploring the city which is very large.

Tonight I said to Roger i would buy some throat lozenges to ease a slight cough. As i was leaving the Pharmacy, i noticed two girls watching me put my wallet away, and begin to follow us very closely. I stopped they walked on a few feet & also stopped. I started again, went past them, and they started walking, so I suggested to Roger we stop and look into a cafe. They finally disappeared. I think they were trying to pick our pockets. I said to Roger i was getting ready to knock them to the ground (is that the response a pastor should have?) Anyway i didn't have to show my prowess in how to handle belligerent women.

Well, we are heading home which is a great feeling. Daryl.

Advertisement



22nd October 2014

Oh My!
"Anyway i didn't have to show my prowess in how to handle belligerent women." This might be the funniest thing you've written! Have a safe trip home. Can't wait to hear you tell us everything!
22nd October 2014

Impossible
Hi Delores, i knew it wasn't possible to control a woman, but i thought it would bring a smile to one or two faces. looking forward to seeing yourself & John. Keep Smiling. D
22nd October 2014

Impossible
Hi Delores, i knew it wasn't possible to control a woman, but i thought it would bring a smile to one or two faces. looking forward to seeing yourself & John. Keep Smiling. D

Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb