Plan B put into action.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
June 17th 2009
Published: June 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The changing of the guard.The changing of the guard.The changing of the guard.

Nothing like the Brits.
Started the day off travelling to Atocha railway station, the main station to go to Toledo. We arrived 30 minutes before the train was scheduled to leave. We discovered that we needed to take a number and queue to buy a ticket. Our number was 752 and they were only up to 698. As a result we missed the train that was to leave at 10.20 am, and the next wasn't leaving for another 2 hours. We ended up buying tickets to Toledo for the next day and for Avila the day after. Therefore we moved to Plan B. This entailed walking around the city of Madrid, trying to find something to do. By chance, we happened to stumble across a changing of the guard ceremony, but it was only a small one, as the big one only happens once a month. In the afternoon, we saw the Temple of Debod, an Egyptian temple that was under threat from the Azwan Dam, and so was moved stone by stone to Madrid. We also saw the burial place of Goya. In the evening, we sat in Plaza Espana to enjoy the cool evening air.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Temple of Debod.The Temple of Debod.
The Temple of Debod.

As usual, closed for siesta.
Plaza Espana.Plaza Espana.
Plaza Espana.

It was a relaxing evening.


Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb