A day in Salou


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia
June 11th 2009
Published: June 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bernie decided that he had better get his test out of the way this morning so he went down to the foyer to buy some more wi-fi access and find a spot to sit where he could receive a signal on the lap top. By the time that he had read the instructions and configured the lap top as stipulated in those instructions he had used up quite a bit of the hour of access that he had purchased. Unfortunately the area where wi-fi access is possible is very busy as all of the travel company reps operate from there and there are people coming and going all of the time. Not really ideal, but the only other option was to use the hotel’s computers that are situated in a corner under the stairs!!

Bernie logged into the test and then discovered that he should have access to a calculator. A fact that it might have been useful for Rosemary to mention, when she rang about sending the email link??? People who are on holidays rather than at their desk at work don’t generally have a calculator readily to hand!!!! Bernie was unsure if he had passed a point from which he couldn’t return without voiding the test so, with internet time ticking away, he carried on thinking that he could use the calculator in Microsoft Accessories.

Bernie found the timed skill test to be quite challenging, mainly due to the less than ideal conditions in which it was undertaken. However, he has given it his best shot and will now just have to wait and see what the result is. The most frustrating thing is that he is struggling to see the relevance of nearly all of the test to the job that he is going for. What is the point of being able to work out the change process that is applied to a shape when a designated symbol with a set function is applied??? Bernie has not been flattering about the ease of use of the Microsoft Calculator either!!

With another hour of internet access purchased, Bernie logged into the next part of the test which was the psychometric test. In this he was asked an interminable number of questions about his likes and dislikes and strengths and weaknesses. The test said that it was 36 screens, but each screen had two or three sub-screens to fine tune his answers depending on what responses he gave on the first screen. Bernie said that he felt quite brain dead by the end of it all.

After all of this fun Bernie decided that he would like to catch the bus into Salou to have a bit of a look around there. The bus driver ripped us off on this trip making Bernie scan our card twice for each of before a ticket would issue. The person who sold us the multi-trip card warned us about this scam, but we are not sure quite what you are supposed to do about it? I mean you have a queue of people behind you who are all anxious to get on the bus who won’t be impressed if you start to dispute the fare with a driver who will just shrug and say that he doesn’t understand English. And, in the end, we would only be quibbling over about €1.50! Sometimes it easier to just capitulate rather than make a fuss! But what pisses me off even more about the bus trip to Salou is that I stubbed my toe and chipped my toenail polish!! Now THAT is something to be upset about!!

We had no idea where we should disembark in Salou so we just sort of winged it. In the end we probably left the bus a few stops before we should have, but it didn’t matter we found the sea front … eventually!! Bernie found a cash machine to withdraw some more cash so that we are cashed up for our planned trip to Montserrat tomorrow. As far as we have been able to work out, we can catch a bus virtually in front of the hotel in the morning and it will take us on a tour of Montserrat and Sitjes, a traditional fishing village, on the way back to Le Pineda.

When we reached the sea front Bernie dragged me to a chemist to see if the pharmacist could suggest something for my holiday rash which erupted with a vengeance after being out and about all day yesterday! Every time we go on holidays this rash erupts and I think it is getting worse each time that it happens??! It used to just manifest around my ankles and then it would appear on my ankles and legs, but this time it extends onto my thighs as well. I’m just glad that it is not itchy, just really red and blotchy. The pharmacist wondered if it might be a sign of poor circulation? Now that is not something I have ever considered. I always thought it was more of an allergy sort of thing, but I took some antihistamine last night and that didn’t seem to improve it at all. Anyway, the chemist sold me some cream and told me not to go in the sun when I use it. I’ll put it on tonight and we shall see how the rash is tomorrow!!

Next we had a Spanish omelette and salad for lunch in a café in near the chemist before walking along the sea front to the station. Bernie wanted to suss out if it easier to take the bus to Salou and then the train to Barcelona, rather than taking the bus to Tarragona and then the train to Barcelona??? At this stage it is looking like it may be easier to go via Salou, but we will have to get our connection right as there are not as many trains from Salou as there are from Tarragona. The plan is to attempt that epic journey on Sunday. Although, we may yet do a tour to Barcelona because it is not very much more expensive that buying the bus fare and then the train fare?!

After having a look at all of the yachts and power boats in the marina we walked back along the beach before catching the bus back to La Pineda. Back at the hotel we went down to catch a little bit of late afternoon sunshine by the pool before showering and changing for dinner.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb