Fireworks and goodbye Catalunya...


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia
August 17th 2007
Published: August 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Nice hairdo Simon..Nice hairdo Simon..Nice hairdo Simon..

Has someone "pegged you" perchance, are any of them "begfriends"?
So, we'd whizzed towards the end of the week, and were talking about going to Malgrat de Mar for a final drink, then thought we'd support the bar next door which had already managed to put a new roof on! Then we heard that Malgrat de Mar was putting on a fireworks display for our final night - specially for us, obviously (not!) - so we reverted to our original plan.

The final full day was spent in sorting stuff out, and in most of the guests "pegging" each other - a new game invented, which I believe spilt over into other events (e.g. New Wine) afterwards! People became "pegfriends", which then became "begfriends" - I have no idea if these terms were already in general use! We'd, once again, moved the kitchen tent, so that it wasn't picking up all the winds (yes, the wind picked up again, and the kitchen tent started lifting itself off the ground - we did some complex things with the marquee walls/the flattened other kitchen tent which had previously worked as a wind break - stupidly we put the marquee canvas on the wrong side of the fence where it was acting more like a sail than a windbreak! In the evening, Rob gave us his final talk, and we then headed off to Malgrat de Mar, where we queued up for ice-creams before finding a spot on the beach (losing each other in the process!). An amazing set of fireworks - we were sat so close (although STILL nothing beats the Beulieu fireworks I saw 5-6 years ago - and I played with the "fireworks" setting on my camera - a lot! We caught up with most of the group on the way back.

On the final day we were expecting the group at any time from about 7.30am (when we'd arrived), but they were quite late arriving. Mark and Rob had taken those who wanted a replacement excursion off to Blanes where there were some botanical gardens. Once everything else was in place we hung around on the beach (I was trying to read the whole of Luke). The coach finally turned up - it had got caught in the UK for 2-3 hours after a young girl jumped off the bridge for having failed her A-Levels (so sad). We helped the group to unload, took down a couple of un-needed tents, ensured all our goods were put to one side! The drivers have to have 9 hours of rest, so it was pretty late by the time that it finally turned up to get us back, so we joined Rob as he did his first session with the next group! On the way back our drivers were amazing, just kept going (within the legal limits), stopping only where strictly necessary as we tried to get back in time to get people to catch their connecting trains, etc. (not something OH can take responsibility for, but everyone wanted to get back anyway...) - we had brought some of the spare biscuits, etc. on board which served as food, other than breakfast which we DID stop for! Back to crash out for a bit, but first, a meeting with Tim ready for the Austrian trip... then a good 12 hours sleep!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb