Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia
May 13th 2024
Published: May 13th 2024
Edit Blog Post

I love Barcelona. I love the art. It’s a lot of walking. I don’t mind walking but you can walk all day and see so much and still feel like you haven’t seen hardly anything. It’s so big. I’m staying a little bit out of the city center but it’s kind of more the outskirts of the city center I think would be more accurate. Definitely still in the city and close to the shore. That means a long walk anywhere or taking metro. I will do both and it has given me a greater appreciation for how much walking I did in the 6 days I was here last.

We got in late yesterday so we found a tapas bar—note, the hostel front desk had no recommendations except two business cards at the front desk clear across town. So we found our own. So good. We checked out the pier nearby and headed back as it was a long travel day.

Today we found a pastry cafe just down the street—SO GOOD. Two pastries and a coffee were less than a specialty coffee in the states. !! We proceeded to walk to Sagrada Familia and sat in the adjacent Plaza de Gaudí until our entry time, started with the tower and meandered inside. The first time I saw it, I was floored and had seen nothing like it before. This time, I wasn’t sure what to expect as a lot of work has been done on it and I was not and could not be disappointed. It was more colorful inside—that could be due to time of day and sun’s angle. I saw many more additions across the cathedral. There was a window to peer downstairs. I noticed railings, benches, the decor on the pillars that had not yet been added last time I was there. The chapel was finished. The tower celebrating Mary had the star atop. I still am in awe of the artistic ability of the teams who have worked on this since the latter half of the 1800s. I recently read that they expect to finish I think in the next couple years or so. I will love to see it without the ever present cranes!

We then headed to the Gothic quarter and stopped for lunch along the way. I love the narrow streets of the Gothic quarter with the tall buildings enhancing how narrow they are. The architecture.. it’s a neat area. Good shopping too! We ended up eating next to the Basilica. That legit took all day. Headed back to the hostel and tomorrow is Barceloneta, Park Güell y Las Ramblas!

Trying to get photos uploaded on Flickr but they take forever and I have only so much time and battery so some of those will happen upon my return. Still trying to get some up on here. Blog complied for some!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Magnificent forest ceilingMagnificent forest ceiling
Magnificent forest ceiling

Gaudí wanted it to look like a forest.


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb