La Historia de la Espana


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia
May 29th 2019
Published: May 31st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 IndividualDay 2 IndividualDay 2 Individual

View of Barcelona from Park Guell.
Just Me! - One devotional that Dr. Reyes talked to our group about was appreciating God for the little things in the world. With this in mind, I thought of the views I've seen throughout Barcelona. It does not seem to change, as the buildings stand tall and the Earth continues to remain in its nature. However, it must be constantly changing since people come and go constantly, changing the placement and stability of different. In the same way, nature changes as animals come and go, leaving their mark. So although the overall view does not change, the little things always will. I appreciate that, for this week, I can appreciate this ever constant, ever changing view.

Just Spaniards! - People who work in customer service, primarily to serve tourists, have been mostly kind. However, it is difficult to distinguish between genuine kindness out of care for the vulnerable tourist, or if they are kind simply to make an euro. For example, those who have been leading us on tours have been patient with answering questions and speaking in their non-native language, not expecting us to try and respond in theirs. Although, they likely have the cultural intelligence to understand
Day 2 RelationalDay 2 RelationalDay 2 Relational

Some dinosaurs decorated in a broken glass style. Found in a tourist shop.
that Americans are primarily monolingual, unless they originate from another country or culture. It is likely both that they are willing to work a job that puts them outside their comfort zone to help tourists, but also it pays the bills.

Just Spain! - Like many European countries, Spain was once under Roman control. In the 1st century, Romans invaded Spain, founding Barcelona in 12 BC. Since Barcelona was a trading town, architecture was built to reflect the times. For example, walls were built in the city to establish borders and protect the citizens. Nowadays, as these walls still stand, they have been repurposed into buildings that are commercially, mostly as shops and cafes. Rome has become so ingrained in the life of Spain that there are many Roman Catholic cathedrals and basilicas that have been built around Barcelona, inspired by those built in Italy, despite the few practicing Catholics in the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Day 2 SocialDay 2 Social
Day 2 Social

Roman wall that has been repurposed into sustaining a building with shopping areas.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb