Vilanova i la Geltru & Halloween


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Vilafranca del Penedès
November 19th 2010
Published: November 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Sitges to Vilanova


Friday 29th October 2010
On today the short distance to Vilanova i la Geltru and a campsite we have stayed at before when we came for a couple of weeks several years ago. The site has improved its facilities further since we last visited and we take advantage of the indoor pool sauna and Jacuzzi which are free to use during the week.

Saturday 30th October 2010
Settling in on site we put up our new awning for the first time as we plan to be here at least a week. The site is busy with Spanish weekenders preparing for Halloween and All Souls holiday on Monday. An English holiday company is holding an end of season sale where we are able to pick up books and dvds plus a new chair for 6E to replace one that collapsed under my substantial weight !

Sunday 31st October 2010
Halloween today celebrated with enthusiasm by the Spanish on site who decorate their log cabins and bungalows with fake cobwebs, skeletons and pumpkin lanterns. We make our own Jack o lantern and Giles our French neighbour demonstrated how to make a spirit stove from an empty coke can which actually worked very efficiently along the lines of a commercial Trangia stove I have at home. Later we enjoy an international street party organised by Giles with French, German, English and Swedish participants setting up chairs and tables on the access road in the sunshine enjoying a glass or two of wine and putting the world to rights until the sun set. The Moroccan chicken I intended to make for dinner was postponed in favour of a more simple sandwich I was fit to assemble much to the amusement of the gathered throng.

Monday 1st November 2010
Today is a bank holiday in Spain and spent on site. In the evening our neighbours Chris and Peter joined us for a drink and Giles and Marie-Dominique for dinner – the much acclaimed ( by this point ) Moroccan Chicken with Camargue rice.

Tuesday 2nd November 2010
Vilanova by local bus checking out the town and an attempt to obtain a spare part for the Thetford toilet from the agent here – no chance, no parts. However success in locating a sizeable toy shop for the boys to browse in advance of their birthday on Thursday.

Wednesday 3rd November 2010
A trip out today to Sant Sadurni d’Anoia and Cordoniu Cava. The winery was declared a Monument of Historical and Artistic Interest by King Juan Carlos I in 1976.
Completed in 1915, twenty years after commencing, construction. Josep Puig i Cadafalch one of the leading exponents of the great Catalan modernist architectural school was in charge of the design and construction and it’s well worth a visit. Below ground, a labyrinth of excavated underground cellars built of fired brick occupies more than 200.000 square metres. Here Codorníu undertakes secondary fermentation on lees and ageing of its cavas and the boys enjoyed the tour by miniature train and we enjoyed the tasting that followed.

Thursday 4th November 2010
Big 10 today ! Trip to Vilanova to spend birthday money at the toy store followed by lunch at
( you’ve guessed it ) Old McDo. We spent the afternoon in the spa and then after chatting to school mates on skype watched Mr Bean’s Holiday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



9th January 2011
Cordoniu Tasting

Cava anyone!!
Well, you've got to sample a glass or two whilst in Spain.....be rude not to!! xx

Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb