Girona Sunday: Las Monas


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Girona
July 28th 2010
Published: July 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday was our last day on the Costa Brava. After another delicious breakfast and a warm send-off from the owner, we headed back to Girona with a few stop offs at some beaches. After all, they're right there, and it's COLD back in Minnesota!

While I was in BCN I found out there was a chimpanzee sanctuary in Girona and we managed to get a time on Sunday! Sanctuaries aren't zoos. Only a few people can visit each day and you take an educational tour to learn about the lives before and now, of these animals. They rescue chimps from bad living conditions - in this case, it includes some chimps used in a commercial for I think MCDONALDS who were chained in dark cages in a truck when not filming. I support several rescue operations such as Fauna in Montreal (chimps) the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee, Pasado's Safe Haven (pets and farm animals) and Feline Rescue in St Paul where we got our 2 cool cats. Our dog is also a resued dog. So I was thrilled to get to go here!
They work to give the chimps a more normal life, with social interaction and peace and quiet.

When we got back to BCN we checked into a hotel on Las Ramblas and did our repacking. We wandered around the streets for awhile too. We had an early flight out the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Still confined, but  much better offStill confined, but  much better off
Still confined, but much better off

Nice view in the background, too!
a proud and dignified fellowa proud and dignified fellow
a proud and dignified fellow

What right do we have to capture these magnificent animals from the wild and use them for entertainment! OK, getting off my soapbox.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb