Wilfred the Hairy...


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Cardona
September 2nd 2017
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Portal del Pomt, BesaluPortal del Pomt, BesaluPortal del Pomt, Besalu

Entry to Besalu over the bridge that was rebuilt in the 1900s
... now I bet that title got your attention but you will need to wait a minute. We left El Port de la Selva for Besalu, a medieval village with Romanesque architecture, for what we thought would be a bit of a look and stroll. What an unexpected treat was in store, it was the day the town decided to celebrate it's heritage with a medieval fair and it was fantastic. There were street artists playing medieval instruments (including something like the bagpipes), court jesters, roaming minstrels, flag throwing, belly dancing, a whole play, sadly in Catalan, but we ascertained it was about a damsel, her knight, some baddies and some goodies. There were market stalls lining the streets selling everthing from toy crossbows to delicious looking food. It was so entertaining that we didn't even bother to take our allotted coffee break (I had had two double espresso at breakfast so perhaps it was just as well). We love these unexpected bonuses as did the rest of the group.

We then moved onto Wilfred the Hairy and his town, Ripoll which is known for it's church and monastery - Monestir de Santa Maria - which he founded with his wife, Guinedilda, in 880 to provide for their daughter, Emma, who became the community's first abbess. Evidently the name was because "he was hairy in places not normally so in men ..."!! This area is very significant in Catalan history being the centre of the region geographically and spiritually. It was a fascinating, small town and we had plenty of time to wander and explore before heading to Cardona where we expected to stay in a hotel that is housed in a castle but it was not to be. The upside is that we have just returned from dinner with the locals in Cardona complete with children running around and playing, locals enjoying a social time on Saturday evening, other children playing in a four aside basketball competition, a birthday celebration complete with sign and whistles parading through the street, delightful locals working out exactly what we wanted to drink and eat and a leisurely stroll on a balmy evening back to our accommodation.

Tomorrow we are off to the salt mines and castle - from one extreme to the other!!

Buenos noches dear friends and thanks for travelling with us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

One of the musical groupsOne of the musical groups
One of the musical groups

We followed them through the town so will have photo bombed many photos!!


4th September 2017

Wilfred the Hairy
What amazing history and photos! I must admit to being quite intrigued by Wilfred's 'hairy bits'.....
12th September 2017
Part of lunch!!

Besalu
It is great that you happen to be in the village when they were having their fair. Sometimes lucky timing can add a lot to the experience. We are enjoying your posts.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb