Barcelona & Catalunya


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
June 11th 2006
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.3879, 2.16992

From Malta we flew to Barcelona via Rome, yet another long day of travelling. Had time to spend an interesting evening strolling La Rambla. After choosing a cafe a little way down the street Andrew asked for a large beer and ended up with a litre, we thought this only happened in Germany but turned out to be the norm. So after a little food and plentiful liquid lubrication we proceeded to check out the wierd and the wonderful on the most popular street in Barcelona and made our way down to the waterfront where the intoxicationg smell of fresh cooked crepes and waffles tempted me to indulge. While enjoying my banana crepe we noticed the full moon rising over the marina and watched everyone stop to watch the spectacle of the reflection of the moon and night lights on the water. The smell and the sight is still a very vivid memory. After failing to find a hire car even close to our price range in Barcelona for our trip to the Costa Brava, we decided to catch a train to Girona and try to hire a car there. This turned out to be a very wise plan as the hire cars were cheap and plentiful and so were the hotels. We spent a pleasant evening and morning in Girona checking out the old town and the fresh food market. We then drove towards the coast arriving in time to find a very nice hotel with stunning views that we could not resist even at the price. The next couple of days were spent exploring Costa Brava with its stunning towering coastline and rocky moonscape interior. So much of it was picture postcard perfect. It was the ideal end to our 4 weeks in Europe. On our last evening we dined at yet another outdoor restaurant set atop a cliff overlooking the bay with a view back to our hotel. After the sun went down we ordered a second jug of Sangria and spent the evening admiring the view of the lights reflecting over the bay. Yet another pleasant and vivid memory.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb