Day 16


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
June 4th 2015
Published: June 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today was another day tour that Michelle had organised "3 countries in one day"

Naturally Spain was the first country as we set off for the Pyrenees mountains and the south of France.

The first stop was another tiny medievil town surrounded by walls called Baga.

This was ok, but nothing compared to Girona previously visited.

On the way into France, we are driving through the Pyrenees and the snow topped mountains are a spectacle.

Also big gorges with rivers and it reminds us of the New Zealand Sth island.

Over the border and we stopped in France for a fresh crossiant at the town of Mt Louis

We learn the history of the town and note they are still using some of it for army training, these areas are restricted to tourist.

Walking the walls, gives us great views of the mountains.

Leaving there we head to our third country Andorra.

This is a country that has signed a lot of the European treaties, but not all of them.

It has kept its own identity and has its own flag and full border control.

We get our passports stamped, and are excepted in.

Andorra has its own tax system and we learn it is a tax haven for many of the wealthy who apply for residency here.

In winter it is also a thriving ski resort.

The population is around 90,000, with tourism being the main source of income for the country.

We have a nice lunch over the fast flowing river which runs through the middle of the town.

Being a tax haven, they also have no taxes or duties, which makes it shopping heaven for booze, smokes, perfume, jewelerly e,t,c.

Weren't allowed too many pics, but the two supermarkets have booze and smokes in a big way.

Next we head up the mountain a bit for a higher up picture.

Back through the quasi border control and as we were told it is more for show.

There are supposed limits on your purchases,but they don't check the bus,just chat to the driver and open the luggage compartment and we are through.

Big day as the bus left at 7am and back by 730 pm.

Enjoyed the hour stroll back with plenty still happening on the streets of Barcelona.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb