Captivating Catalonia


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
October 16th 2014
Published: May 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Clockwise from top left:Clockwise from top left:Clockwise from top left:

Sagrada Familia; Camp Nou Stadium; Gaudi buildings; fountains outside the Catalunya Art Museum; the Catalunya Art Museum at night; Parc Güell
I travelled to Barcelona when I was a teenager making use solely of the bars and nightclubs staying in the "number one party hostel of BCN". I always felt that I didn't take full advantage of the city and all I was hoping to see. At 17, I walked past the Gaudi buildings wondering why people were intrigued by the Dr Seuss themed architecture...whether it was the building where The Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham was inspired. Fast forward six years later and I am in awe of the designs and its aesthetic effect. Gaudi's work envelops the city and this is evident with the (albeit off the beaten path and with a slight incline) Parc Guëll, one of the major works of art by Gaudi in Barcelona. Surrounding the vast green areas of the park stood bright, colourful, mosaic buildings, a visual iconography of Gaudi's designs.



The binary opposition of medieval and modern is manifest walking along the boulevards of the Spanish city. Gaudi's distinct curvilinear style architecture is juxtaposed with the trendy high street stores but their presence and popularity portray a collective appreciation of the masterpieces. The "unfinished" creation of the Sagrada Familia is stood with solidarity and defiance. Again an astounding piece of engineering, the arbitrary construction workers and bordered off walls of the cathedral again fed off this literal vision of the blend of old and new and how it brings so many visitors to view the creations in awe.



Not for all travellers, but a personal bucket list completion, I got to go to a Barcelona match at Camp Nou Stadium. All you need for a good night here is to see Messi and Neymar score (check; check) but for a non-football fan, not only was it a warm, clement and clear night and the open top stadium gave way to the magnificent back drop of the mountains, but to see 90,000 people cheer and fill the stadium, I was wonderstruck.



Hidden away on top of one of the mountains, we came across the very modest grounds of the Olympic stadium. The intimidating landscape and the expansive venue was deserted. Although holding the 1992 Olympic Games, is now open to visitors. Having the place almost to ourselves gave this gem a prodigious feel.



Referring back to last time I visited this wondrous city, I was told about a fountain show that took place every night outside the Catalunya National Art Museum, I didn’t get a chance to see this spectacle, so I was eager to get the chance to return. Visiting the grounds of the museum by day, we had high expectations of the display when the sun descended.



Feeling nostalgic as we're sat on the fountain with our toes dipped in the water, I'm at Disney World waiting for the parade, wearing a vest top and shorts as the temperature has barely dropped, the buzz of children pleading with their parents and the sellers playing with the light up spin toys luring the audience in. The smell of freshly baked cookies and donuts roamed the air. The fountain show does not disappoint (maybe not as good as Disney's Magical Electric Parade...) with an array of pastel colours hitting the clear liquid and jets of water escaping out and dancing to the enchanting music that vibrates the floors, lending it's rhythm to the jovial crowd.



Las Ramblas was another on my "I'm a huge tourist" list. The iconic carnivalesque performers littered the tree lined streets followed by the rows of restaurants selling the tourist favourites- Paella, Tapas and Sangria- a, dare I say it gaudy (get it?!) tourist dream.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb