Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
May 6th 2005
Published: May 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Barcelona

Arriving in this city, which hosted the Olympics in 1992, John and I knew right away we would be back. Great care had been taken to make the port a welcoming sight, with its wide promenade, wisteria covered trellises, benches, bike paths, and unusual but interesting art pieces like the octopus coming out of a trellis and the famous . We found our way to the old city section and went into the Barcelona cathedral, which at the time we thought was Gaudi Cathedral. Upon returning home and looking in our guidebooks, we are definitely going to have to return to see it and Parc Guell.

We did however walk the Paseo Gracia to see some of Gaudi architecture and strolled Las Ramblas, a plane tree lined street bustling with vendors, and street performers. The performers seemed to be in hot competition for the most creative costumes, one we saw was Don Quixote, his whole costume composed of water bottles. My favorite experience here in Barcelona, the Bouqueria Market. It is a colorful and bustling fresh food market.Many , many vendors selling fresh fruits and vegetables, fish mongers , butchers, fresh spices, dried fruits and nuts, candies, breads,and anything else you can think of to cook. In the back there was a bar serving tapas, no menu, just point. That bar was very busy people standing waiting for a stool. We had a potato dish with zucchini that tasted so fresh and wonderful.All I could do was dream of having a kitchen here, so I could buy all my ingredients, fresh, the day I plan to prepare my favorite recipes.

John and I mastered the tapas hop here in Barcelona, we stopped in 6 places for tapas and beer that afternoon.

For those friends of mine who love designer clothing, Barcelona is the place to be, street after street of labels I’ve only seen in fashion magazines , ritzy jewelry stores, lingerie, and formal gowns galore.

E would have loved Barcelona so much to see and do.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb