Trip to France/Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
September 18th 2013
Published: September 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Week 4Week 4Week 4

We had the beach to ourselves in Argeles!
WEEK 4

On the road to Spain this week. Not long after we'd left Argeles, we joined a queue of traffic which crawled along for nearly two hours. As we crossed the spanish border we drove through a village where some sort of gathering had taken place and the road had obviously been closed. All the way along our route we came across groups of people draped in red and yellow flags in celebration mode. The Catalan people had decided to make a human chain stretching 430km in support of their bid for independence. What a day to travel - it took us 5 hours to go 100 miles. Fortunately we reached the campsite near Barcelona just before the roads closed again.

The following day we visited Barcelona which is a very impressive, sprawling city. We quickly discovered that it is not very easy to see much of the city on foot. We spent a while in the older district around La Rambla which has a lot of interesting buildings and walked down to the port but decided the only way to get around to the other sites in one day was on the tourist bus. The Sagrada Familia
Week 4Week 4Week 4

Plenty of wildlife in Argeles
is being completely renovated at the moment so we would like to come back when all the work is finished. Gaudi certainly had some original ideas for architectural design. We enjoyed our whistlestop tour of the city but there are places we would like to spend more time in on our next visit.

By complete contrast, we moved to the Delta de l'Ebre the next day. It is a vast wetland area along the coast past Tarragona and is a very unusual landscape for this part of Spain. it is very flat with lots of canals providing irrigation for rice fields. The number and variety of birds is astonishing. When you cycle alongside the waterways egrets are taking off every few seconds! There are flamingoes on the lakes and numerous wading birds that we are trying hard to identify. My biggest regret is that both batteries have gone on my super zoom camera and we seem to have brought 2 chargers for Chris's camera and left mine behind. Yesterday was 33 degrees, too hot for cycling so we'll try to get up earlier tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Week 4Week 4
Week 4

Catalans on the march
Week 4Week 4
Week 4

Barcelona
Week 4Week 4
Week 4

??????
Week 4Week 4
Week 4

Gaudi decoration
Week 4Week 4
Week 4

Barcelona port
Week 4Week 4
Week 4

Another very interesting roof
Week 4Week 4
Week 4

La Pedrera
Week 4Week 4
Week 4

Casa Batllo - another Gaudi creation
Week 4Week 4
Week 4

Sagrada Familia
Week 4Week 4
Week 4

and again


18th September 2013

Great blog
Loved reading your travel blog - some areas I have not experienced yet. However the Sagrada Familia was being renovated when I visited Barcelona in 2006 - long project!

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb