Street Fest (Day 33)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
June 13th 2010
Published: June 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

street feststreet feststreet fest

street festival packed with bands and beer tents
Got up early today so I could get a head start on the day. Started with a short run up around the Camp Nou where Barcelona FC plays their home games. Came back to the hostel and had a small breakfast before heading down to the Placa Real (the main square) for the free walking tour. It was just a small group of us which was nice. Just like in Lisbon it was real informal and had a good convo with the Polish guy leading the tour. Walked around the Gothic District which is pretty amazing. Its a bunch of these tiny winding alleys that out of nowhere lead to these seemingly hidden squares. Beautiful area. I can only deal with so much history at a time particularly when its about stuff that happened thousands of years ago so I tuned out at times and just admired the sights. Anyways, good tour. These walking tours continue to impress me.

Headed out from the main square on foot to the Montjiouc (sp?) District. This area is pretty much a giant park built onto this hill and at the apex is the old castle. Its kind of funny looking since the castle is hundreds of years old but it has fairly modern artillery since good ole Franco decided the place needed a little more decoration. Just kind of meandered around the area for a couple hours before descending down to a metro station for a ride home. I got back and noticed they didn't have the world cup game on so I split and headed a block down to a bar to watch the 2nd half (Argentina-Nigeria). This is exactly why I could not wait for the WC to start. Its a great way to spend the evening and relax until things get started up again at night at the hostel.

Watched the USA-England game back at the hostel in a packed room of travelers. It was a pretty cool environment especially when we lucked out and got that goal (thanks green!) I really need to get a jersey or something to wear to represent the good old US of A when I am over here. Gonna have to keep an eye open. Met up with Bryce at the hostel again and he told me he passed by this street festival on his way home so we set out along with a few others from the hostel to check it out. It was pretty crazy scene. The road was closed off and was absolutely packed with people. There were food and beer tents all over and every couple blocks or so they had a stage with a band performing. Had a blast down there with everyone till we decided it was about time to head back. Good start to Barcelona.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

archarch
arch

archway over crowded street
gothgoth
goth

gothic quarter


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 5; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb