Barcelona 2010: Sunday


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
March 21st 2010
Published: May 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday was our day to just wander the Gothic quarter, with no major sights to see.
Again we took the metro. We were just a few blocks away from the Monumental stop.

We got off at a stop equidistant from Santa Maria del Mar and the Cathedral and decided to head to Santa Maria first. (We knew that because a very friendly traffic cop told us when I asked. ) They were at the Gospel part of Mass so I thought we'd stay - the priest was reading in beautiful Spanish. But when he started the sermon he switched (actually I think it was a different priest) into Catalan so we just looked around a bit more and headed up to the Cathedral.

At the cathedral they were getting ready for Mass. Pat went outside to check out the scene on the square. We thought there would be dancers of the sardana. But he didn't see any. We attended mass here and then looked around inside afterwards, beautiful of course. The bishop had said mass.

Outside afterwards we watched some kids forming that human tower that is traditional. Don't really know much about that tradition.

Throughout the day we just wandered around, it was cool. Followed little alley ways and would come upon a cool plaza or just a quiet corner of this area. We had churros y chocolate in a Valor shop. While we were eating giant mannequins started going by the window. The sales lady said some neighborhood here in BCN had had a celebration. Later we found them packing their truck and two were on the sidewalk so we took a picture.

We ended up back at the Cathedral and now you had to pay to enter to see the courtyard which we did and it was cool. You could also go up to the roof and take an audio tour.

After this we stopped in a Taller de Tapas which is supposed to be pretty good for a touristy place, and had dinner. Our waiter was fun and recommended a great wine for us.

We wondered if Sagrada Familia might have a mass so we walked back up there from our home metro stop but they just have mass in a chapel. We went in there and looked around, it was lovely. Took some more shots of the outside, it is so incredible! - and then called it a night.
Another great day in Barcelona.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

street musicstreet music
street music

This music was middle eastern and very relaxing
gargoylegargoyle
gargoyle

Lots of cute gargoyles in the gothic quarter - of course


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb