Greetings from Camp Nou!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
July 19th 2008
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Aqui estamos!Aqui estamos!Aqui estamos!

en Camp Nou
Yesterday we went to Camp Nou, home of FC Barcelona, one of the world's biggest and most popular football clubs. It was packed with visitors from all over the world. (And Bruce Springsteen fans hovered outside the grounds, awaiting a concert by Springsteen that evening.)

Barcelona is the club for which Ronaldinho played until a few days ago. The stadium seats almost 100,000 people, and they offer a nice self-guided tour with audio guide. There is also an excellent museum describing the history of the club, which (we hadn't known) is closely tied to the Catalonia independence/autonomy movement. In both the museum and the humongous store, there were small displays of Celtic Club (Glasgow) paraphernalia and we believe that the reason is because both football clubs' origins are bound up with historically nationalist movements within their countries. The founder of FC Barcelona, Joan Gamper, was sanctioned by the Franco dictatorship for that reason.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Statue attacks fan!Statue attacks fan!
Statue attacks fan!

Jack did not witness the attack, but was able to apprehend the culprit because it was rooted to the ground and could not escape
In the standsIn the stands
In the stands

The phrase "mes que un club" means "more than a club" in Catalan.
BRUUUUCE!BRUUUUCE!
BRUUUUCE!

wasn't anywhere in sight, but his stage messed up our view of the pitch.
In the press roomIn the press room
In the press room

"Ask me about my brace"
In the museumIn the museum
In the museum

The founder of the club brought soccer to Barcelona from Switzerland, where he had learned it from some English and Scots.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb