Walking Around Barcelona (D&M)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
July 18th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Street PerformerStreet PerformerStreet Performer

Blue Bicycle Man With Skeleton Friend
We did a lot of walking around our first couple of days here in Barcelona, almost all of it intentional. Our very nice apartment is located not too far from the Placa de Catalunya, a large, central square that divides old and new Barcelona. We took a walk on Las Ramblas, which runs south toward the harbor. It used to be a medieval drainage ditch along the outside of the walls of the old town (Barri Gotic), but is now a pedestrian friendly (crowded) area with outdoor bird markets and flower sellers, and shops with outrageously expensive souvenirs. We also saw some very, very interesting looking street performers. (See photos.)

Another street that is nice for walking is called Passeig Saint Joan. Along this wide boulevard, there are park areas where old men play bocce. (See photos.) It also runs south toward the water, and is a more modern street. At its end, there is Barcelona's Arc de Triomf, (built for the Universal Expo of 1888) and a nice municipal park called Parc de la Ciutadella (built on the site of a much hated military citadell). In the park, there is a small lake, where you can rent rowboats, ...which we did... twice.

We also toured the Maritime Museum, located in the medieval shipyards. There were small & large models of ships, a collection of ship figureheads, a full sized reproduction of a galley ship built to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the Battle of Lepanto (a defeat of the Turkish navy in 1571). The museum was very interesting and offers a very nice history of Barcelona's relationship to the Mediterranean, and of its shipping history. As part of the package, we were also able to tour the old-fashioned sailing ship, Santa Eulalia, docked in the harbor nearby.

We are finding that the Catalan language (& history & culture) is sometimes much more like French, than Castillian Spanish. Since we dont know any of them very well, we are equal opportunity manglers.

Maria did a great job selecting our apartment again. It is well located, big enough, in a charming old building, and has a good landlord. (The rental company's URL for this apartment is :http:negre.us/apartments. Ours is the one they call "Valencia Classic.") We highly recommend renting an apartment from these people, if you ever come to Barcelona (or Istanbul or Dallas).

More to come on Barcelona.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Bocce PlayersBocce Players
Bocce Players

along Passeig Saint Joan
Rowboating in ParkRowboating in Park
Rowboating in Park

Jack is stranded on an island
Maritime Museum BoatMaritime Museum Boat
Maritime Museum Boat

Touring the Santa Eulalia, an old ocean going sailing vessel


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb