Sagrada Familia


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
January 26th 2008
Published: January 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Holly and I decided at the last minute today that we were going to visit La Sagrada Familia, the "cathedra" designed by Gaudi whose construction began in the late 1800's and is still not completed. It was very easy to get to, as there is a metro stop called "Sagrada Familia" and when you walk up the stairs it is pretty hard to miss. It was fascinating to see the pictures of the progress of the work and to hear the story of the building. It has taken so long to finish because during one of the World Wars they had to stop construction and in the process Gaudi's plans were all lost. Since he had been killed by a train (seriously... hit by a train), the rest of the building had to be designed by another architect. Needless to say the entire thing is beautiful even with all of the construction going on. I managed to take 70 pictures in about an hour, and could have taken many more.
We visited another produce market yesterday and I bought a whole chicken. Thankfully the butcher was nice and cut the head and feet off for me, but I am going to attempt to make chicken stock out of it tonight. We'll see how that goes...
I went out last night with one of Mike's old roommates, Scott, who is here in Barcelona teaching English. We had a lot of fun and it was great to have someone here from home.
I booked my flight to Paris for Feb. 8-10 along with about 6 other girls. Can't wait!


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

View when you come up from the metroView when you come up from the metro
View when you come up from the metro

I love traveling underground and coming up from the metro to see how the scenery has changed. This definitely was a big change!
insideinside
inside

the columns were designed to looked like
the back entrance, the older side which Gaudi designed the back entrance, the older side which Gaudi designed
the back entrance, the older side which Gaudi designed

Talk about detail! All the carvings and sculptures are stories from the Bible


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb