Spanish: The official language of Hell


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
September 18th 2007
Published: September 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Antoinette and MorrisAntoinette and MorrisAntoinette and Morris

The Irish duo in Madrid. I forgot to post this before.
The weather is still nice, but the people here are extremely rude. They don't seem to remember that tourists are good for their economy. The switch to a service industry does not seem to be going well here.

I slept through most of the train ride, but Erin was up and down due to having an upset stomach. On arrival, we tried to contact Antoinette and Morris on Antoinette's mobile, but no response. So, we lost two Irish, but gained a Scotsman, as we hooked back up with David. Most of yesterday evening was spent searching for luggage, as David's suitcase broke, and Erin wanted to upgrade once again. She replaced her original bag in Amsterdam, and has now replaced that bag in Barcelona. A much cheaper solution would be to quit buying stuff!

We had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, which gives us Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid, and Barcelona in our collection. David had never been to one before. We ended the evening by walking to the Mediterranean coast. Being on the coast gives Barcelona an awesome sea breeze.

On Tuesday we meant to get up at 7:00 or so, but Erin didn't set the alarm
Electronics graveyardElectronics graveyardElectronics graveyard

One of the better sites in Madrid.
clock properly. We finally left the hostel at around half 10:00, which I'm assured by David means 9:30. We went to La Sagrada Familia and stayed forever because we got separated. We then hopped on a tour bus and spent most of the day riding around. We made one stop, where we explored Park Guell. Erin loved it, but I didn't get into the groove so much. Of course, I didn't see the big deal of La Sagrada Familia either. To me, nothing tops Paris and Notre Dame.

The evening ended with another terrific experience in a Spanish train station. The lady at the ticket window needed information concerning trains in France. So, she accessed her computer to look them up, right? Wrong! We had to stand in a completely separate line for 15 minutes, get the train schedule for Marseilles, and then get back in the Spain line. They were out of first class tickets for Marseilles, so we can only get about half way there. We'll have to try for tickets for the rest of the way in France, because foreign train stations are apparently only given a limited number of seats.

There are no pictures
Royal PalaceRoyal PalaceRoyal Palace

With Erin and the Irish duo.
for now, as the hostel I'm in doesn't have a PC that I can plug my camera into.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A Spanish buildingA Spanish building
A Spanish building

Or so the accent told me.
The Ham MuseumThe Ham Museum
The Ham Museum

I didn't take a picture of another ham shop that had a dead baby pig on display.
Whaaaz up?Whaaaz up?
Whaaaz up?

End of Madrid pictures.
La Sagrada FamiliaLa Sagrada Familia
La Sagrada Familia

Start of Barcelona pictures.
They took her feet!They took her feet!
They took her feet!

Have the Spanish no compassion?
Where are the Doozers?Where are the Doozers?
Where are the Doozers?

Any Fraggle Rock fans out there?
Mexican standoffMexican standoff
Mexican standoff

We couldn't quite get it to work.
Dressed up for churchDressed up for church
Dressed up for church

She clearly put on her Sunday best.


19th September 2007

The Spanish language
Hang in there, bro - you're on your way to France! Mike
19th September 2007

Ay, dios mio. Maybe the Spaniards just think that you're "un arabe," what with your speaking of the Moorish tongue and all. Buenos suerte!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb