Wedding Eats


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
July 22nd 2007
Published: July 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

so marc had told me that spaniards can eat - i had been doubting him until i experienced the wedding feast last night. tapas were first, plates and plates of salami, shrimp, snails (which i tried, a bit salty like seafood), salmon and caviar (also a bit salty, don´t quite understand people's obsession with it), fried goodness of all sorts, smoked ham leg which is displayed, skin and everything, and a whole bunch of other things, plus drinks of all sorts. this went on for an hour, with waiters bringing new plates whenever one was emptied. by the time you try everything and figure out what´s good, you´re fairly full. and that´s just the appetizers, which i think i ate enough of to make a full meal. so then inside, where the first course comes out - fried fish, crawfish, shrimp, calamari, more shrimp, plates and plates and plates of seafood. everything was super fresh and tasty but everyone was turning down offers of more because the meal had barely started and everyone was fairly full. so then the palate cleanser of mandarin sorbet, oh, and champagne and wines are being drunk the entire time, so you're not only food full, but also liquid full as well. then the main course of super tender beef and mushrooms, then the dessert, cake and ice cream. so everyone settles for a bit, then it's time for the after dinner drinks and espresso (which has been superb in both italy and spain) then everyone rolls over to the dance floor to dance off the many thousand calories that were just consumed. and just in case anyone is still a bit peckish, small pastries are brought out. so i no longer doubt marc - spaniards can definitely hold their own. the food in spain has been an experience, really heavy on the meat and super light on the veggies, a very typical meal is a few kinds of meat (various dried sausages, some chicken, pork and lamb) and then bread with oil. its really quite amazing - the idea of fiber clearly hasn't hit spain yet. but i've gotten some really good home-cooking - grilled sardines, soups, sauces, it's been great to eat like a spaniard for a week.

Advertisement



22nd July 2007

Quite a feast and cultural experience
Sounds like you made up for some protein and calories. Your stomach is probably smaller than it usually would have been. How long did the reception last, they are all night in some cultures? What relative of Marc's was married? What did you do for dress appropriate for a wedding? Glad you had a great time. Maybe I will see you watching the Tour in the Perenees.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb