Howdy Gaudi!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
June 8th 2007
Published: June 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Just a word of warning... If you are not interested in architecture and don't want to see a lot of pictures of buildings then you should probably skip this blog entry! Barcelona is an incredibly fascinating city, and a great majority of the best sights are unusual buildings which are scattered throughout the city. Easily the most interesting of these buildings are those designed around the turn of the 19th century by Architect Antoni Gaudi as part of the Modernimsme architectural movement. Despite being over 100 years old, these buildings are are still quite incredible, so its amazing to think of just how groundbreaking they would have been when they were first built.

But there's more to Barcelona than fancy buildings. The entire city is very pedestrian friendly and seems to have been thoughtfully designed as a great place to live. Although this sounds oversimplified, this is really the best way to describe it. Almost every street is lined with trees and many have large median strips down the middle, where people meet and children play. Most streets have detached bike lanes, separating cyclists from the main traffic, and an overabundance of pedestrian crossings make crossing the road safe and easy. This means that the footpaths are always busy with people out and about creating a great atmosphere. Not to mention great beaches, wonderful parks and lookouts and a cheap and efficient public transport system. Basically, we found barcelona to be one of the nicest and most interesting cities we'd visited.

Also, we have created a Gallery, with one large image from just about every place we've visited. This includes places which we have visited, but don't yet have a blog page for. You can find it by going to our Main Page and clicking the Gallery icon. Check it out if you're interested!

Josh & Alicia


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb