OSH would have a field day!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
March 22nd 2007
Published: March 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Valencia

Another update on my adventures in the fireworks captial of the world. The Las Fallas festival is over and all is back to normal in Valenica (until the next festival starts which is in like a week or something). In my last few days in Valencia it really was enjoyable. Being with Will, I got invited to an Estrella Damm party (a spanish beer that is a principle sponsor of Team NZ) where we were treated like royals. We sat at the 'distinguished guests' table where we were served beer that they don't sell in shops and what is even funnier is the wine supplier for the night was sitting at the table next to us and he asked Will's and my opinions on his wine, as if we knew anything about wine so we told him it was fantastic (which it was) and he appreciated that. This night of free food and alcohol was concluded by the enormous fireworks display the festival is getting well known for.

The title of this blog has a reason, as OSH really would have a field day here. The effergies that were burnt, were in the middle of intersections with some mere metres from buildings. The fire departments were continually hosing down the buildings as the structures were collapsing all round them, very funny as a spectator.

I'm now back in Barcelona for a few days as I have been called back to Duabi so am flying out on Friday evening to get a few more weeks work in before graduation in May back in NZ. Now that I am looking forward to. Again I have met some fantastic people at the backpackers I am staying at. This time some Americans and Bulgarian girls are on holiday from Paris here in Barcelona and have entertained me no end for the last few days. This is just a quick update so I can post some more photos. So the next one I put up will either be in India or will come in about 6 weeks depending on if the vessel has the internet or not. Hope everyone has enjoyed reading the last few posts of mine in Spain, I certainly have enjoyed the experience of meeting new people and a new culture. France may be on the cards next time after NZ. See you!

Quote of the Trip:
Gone for all moneyGone for all moneyGone for all money

This guy was found literally on our doorstep after too many days partying
From Will talking about his methods of picking up the Spanish girls: "This is guaranteed to work - I have plenty of land to offer back in NZ"

What I have learnt: Bulgarians, Americans and Polish people are the friendliest people I have come across. They are all so welcoming and are very fun to hang out with. Cheers guys for making it an awesome trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Spanish UrinalsSpanish Urinals
Spanish Urinals

These urinals were massive!
Burning of the effergiesBurning of the effergies
Burning of the effergies

These fires roared like they owned the place which they did for a few hours
This one burnt lastThis one burnt last
This one burnt last

This one was one of the last to burn with probably close to 50000 watching it
Team NZ's base in ValenicaTeam NZ's base in Valenica
Team NZ's base in Valenica

Americas Cup village with NZ having one of the larger ones
Let them burnLet them burn
Let them burn

As I said, the fire fighters are kept very busy during the burnings
Team America feat. BulgariaTeam America feat. Bulgaria
Team America feat. Bulgaria

These are the Americans and Bulgarian that I met when I went back to Barcelona. From left, Desi, Sam, AJ in what she called her american pose, Amira and Spencer. Had a blast wandering round with them


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb