Spain's La Sagrada Familia - Gaudie's unfinished masterpiece.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
July 5th 2017
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Visiting Gaudie's inspired masterpiece will have an impact on anyone regardless of religion, race or nationality. It is for everyone that La Sagrada Familia has been created. I was struck by Gaudie's words when he said that anything meaningful takes a long time to build. So true are his words, for this magnificent Basilica, started one hundred and thirty years ago, "could be completed in the first third of the 21st century" (quote from official website).

It is in his respect and love of God, that he brought the Holy Scripture to life through his visionary artistry. Every aspect has deep meaning and I felt a sense of awe in trying to grasp what he was seeking to accomplish. Many may enter merely to gaze upon its artistic magnificence and intricate detail (which is fine too) and miss its deep reverence to God Almighty and the importance of the imagery he used to convey his intent.

I can only hope, that as it continues to draw millions of visitors from around the world, peace, tranquility, goodwill and love may so affect each person that it helps counter the widespread discord between peoples and nations elsewhere.

This is a place where everyone is welcome and those who are able, should visit, but it is more than a masterpiece, it is Holy ground.

Just as I viewed and marveled at the Convent of Christ and past Templar castle in Tomar, Portugal, created hundreds of years ago, so will others a thousand years from now be inspired by La Sagrada Familia, all to the glory of God.

I have posted a short video on YouTube which I think brings the viewer closer in than still shots do. Google my channel.
I know that some of my friends have already visited, so this is an appetite whetter for those who are yet to, and others, of course. This is our second, having stayed just about four blocks away some time ago.

Here is my video [
]



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement









23rd July 2017

La Sagrada Familia
It is so nice to see these shots, as I know I won't be travelling there. Thanks for sending, Je And Rog.
24th July 2017

Great impressions.....
Hi Roger, thanks for sharing your European adventure with all the impressions of their diverse cultures. Wishing you many more new experiences and a save return to Canada, eventually. Many regards Manfred and Darlene
24th July 2017

It seems like a non stop adventure!
We already returned to Canada recently but have made in unplanned visit to the US. Just completed 18 holes here in Idaho.
25th July 2017

Gaudie's words
I like his statement: Anything meaningful takes a long time to build. I think that you can apply this to a relationship as well, a marriage, a friendship...
25th July 2017

Certainly looks like you've had a fantastic trip! Thanks for sharing as I'll never see all of these special places otherwise.
25th July 2017

Thanks
Thanks for sharing Roger, the photos are great, but they can never do this magnificient basilica justice. I'm glad you are as moved as we were by it. I've shared your Portugal posts to a friend whose family has just moved there and they will be visiting at some time. She said that you are a good writer and will keep the information as a reference.
27th July 2017

Photography simply can't convey the deep meaning of this Holy site.
I am pleased that your friend finds my Portugal blogs interesting and informative enough to retain as a reference. It makes doing this worthwhile.
25th September 2017

magnificent Basilica
AMAZING MASTERPIECE. You certainly have seen some magnificent places in your travels
12th October 2017

Video
Search for my YouTube channel and you will see interesting videos of La Sagrada and the Convent of Christ, Tomar.

Tot: 0.392s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0973s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb