The Knights Templar Castle, Tomar, Portugal.


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
June 26th 2017
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

While in Tomar, Portugal, we visited the ancient Knights Templar castle and Convento de Christo. I have been to many an impressive castle throughout Europe particularly, but this one clearly deserves a blog dedicated to it exclusively. To name but a few which come to mind, I include Josephine Baker's elegant and music-filled home (her own beautiful voice) in France and the 13th century Castlenaud on the Dordogne River which took part in the 100 years war between England and France. A few years ago, we stayed downstream across the river and just below its then French controlled rival castle in Beynac. Around 1190, this imposing structure in Tomar, built on the border of Christian and Muslim territory in Iberia, was encircled by the armies of Abu Yusuf al-Mansur, conquering Muslim caliph in the south and was successfully defended. No wonder.

I have to again give kudos to Jeanette for discovering this and other wonderful places for us to visit, wherever in the world we travel. That is a real skill she has developed over the years, making our vacations all the more fascinating.

The Convent of Christ is a former Roman Catholic Convent and monastery. Originally, it was the stronghold of the Knights Templar in the 12th century. When the order was dissolved in the 14th century, the Portugese branch was changed into the Knights of the Order of Christ, that later supported Portugal's maritime discoveries of the 15th century. The Convent and Castle complex is a now a UNESCO World Heritage site.

I found that one of the most impressive parts was the famous round church which was modelled after the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, which, God willing I also plan to visit. The Crusaders believed that the Dome in Jerusalem was a remnant of the King Solomon's Temple.

Inside the rotunda is enormously impressive and beyond the scope of words or photographs to deliver to the reader the magnificence of this centuries old man-made creation. I was also greatly surprised by the very low entry charge. Then again, that's Portugal - a most reasonably priced country, understandably, given its recent economic situation.

The Alhambra in Granada draws huge numbers of visitors each year and like others, we enjoyed our visit there but if given a choice, this site wins hands down, in my opinion. It is really worth including in any
Notice the slanted area to your right.Notice the slanted area to your right.Notice the slanted area to your right.

This was part of the design which forced artillery and other projectiles to bounce off.
itinerary which includes northern Portugal.

I hope that the few pictures shown tantalize enough to create an interest in visiting especially for those who care about history, art and its enduring impact on our world even today, centuries later, of rulers and other powerful figures in Europe.

When you visit, take your time and don't rush through. It is a treasure trove.

Here is my video:

[
]



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Inside the rotundaInside the rotunda
Inside the rotunda

Decorated with late Gothic paintings and sculptures.
Ecce Homo (Behold the Man)Ecce Homo (Behold the Man)
Ecce Homo (Behold the Man)

A painting of Pilate condemning Jesus.
Famous window of the chapter house window made in 1510 -1513.Famous window of the chapter house window made in 1510 -1513.
Famous window of the chapter house window made in 1510 -1513.

It is so richly sculpted that it can be overwhelming to the eye at first, but a closer look reveals a wealth of meaningful and carefully-planned details, all illustrating Portugal's great status as a sea power.
Very large kitchen.Very large kitchen.
Very large kitchen.

I assume that in those days they probably used the abundant cork to fire up ovens as they do today for open air grilling.


17th July 2017

Portugal and Spain
Hi Roger and Jeanette, very much appreciate your travelblog. Shows the world has so many great spots to visit. You can't see them all, but you have seen many. Wishing continued good and enthusiastic travels through Europe. Manfred and Darlene
20th July 2017

Complimenting your wife
is the recipe for a good marriage. Well done, Roger!

Tot: 0.402s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0889s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb