More than just a football club


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
October 25th 2014
Published: October 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We couldnt visit the home of one of the most famous football clubs in the world and not visit the stadium.

Up and out, early doors, bought tickets for the open top bus tour, seemed the best way to see some sights and get a ride to Barcelona FC's Camp Nou. With hindsight a taxi would have been quicker as the bus took the longest route round and when we later Wanted to do some more sightseeing we had to jump on another bus which took another long route to where we wanted to go.

The Camp Nou was amazing, a feast of footballing fabulousness! The trophy cabinet put and Premier League club to shame and even as a dIehard Man Utd fan I bowed to the greatness that os FC Barcelona.

After the museum tour it was out down the players tunnel and onto the pitch, the sheer size of the 97,000 seater stadium was a sight to behold. I can only imagine how intimidated lesser club's players must feel when they run out onto this hallowed ground.

Sadly there were no players around as tonight was the biggest game inmthe seasons calendar, 'El Clasico' away to fierce rivals Real Madrid!

Back on the bus plans to see Gaudi's 'acid trip architecture' La Sagrada Familia, the famous gothic church, yet to be completed following Gaudi's untimely death. Jumped off the bus after one stop after realising the tour took two hours before it arrived at the famous attraction.

Gave Alex another ten minutes at the antique market (thankfully he found nothing) before hailing a cab. The church is an amazing, imposing structure, one can't even begin to imagine what was going on inside Gaudi's head when he was comissioned to design the building.

The facade is a heady mix of gargoyles, human faces, animal heads, trees and birds, as I said, give me a few grams of what he was on!

Sagrada Familia selfies done, back in a cab and time to get back to the hotel to change ready for the match!

Decked in our Barcelona tops we headed to P Flaherty's Irish pub which was absolutely rammed, Alex managed to commandeer a couple of stools, a couple of pints of Guiness and we were ready to go! Without pitting my journalist head on and providing a full match report, the lowdown is, Barca scored first but Madrid stepped it up and game finished 3-1.

In typical football fan tradition we follwed the game with a stop at the kebab shop, decided to posh it up and eat in. Had the best Shawarma I've had in Spain and the service was akin to that of a 5-star restaurant, attentive waiter who could give some lessons to collegues in some more exclusive establishments.

Back to the hotel, a quick check on the shipmate app to check the location of our ship, just to make sure she was on her way to get us tomorrow! Last sleep, on land!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.423s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.133s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb