A beautiful city with everything you could ever need!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
August 10th 2014
Published: August 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Myself and my boyfriend, Adam, had booked some leave together for August and had a couple of places in mind that we fancied heading too. It was narrowed down between Croatia and Barcelona - two places that are on the to do list for Europe. We went for Barcelona, and it turned out to be the best decision as we just had the most perfect five days! We both work as cabin crew and haven't had much luck few past few months with our rosters as they just always seem to completely clash, so very excited to get to spend some time together. I finished work at 4pm on the Sunday 10th August and we had a quick dash to Gatwick Airport as the flights were too busy from Heathrow due to flight cancellations with the tail end of hurricane Bertha hitting London. We just made it with minutes to spare and ended up with seats sitting together - we were both on standby for the flight, and even the guy at the desk said it was a 'miracle' that we even got on. Luck seems to be eventually on our side. Flight was delayed over two hours but we were quite happy - had some sushi and couple drinks. Got to hotel about 1am. We were staying in a place called Bed and Beach Guesthouse, which is right next to the beach and by the Port Olympic. It was honestly one of the best places I have stayed in. I found it on booking.com, it was only £150 each for 6 nights, double bedroom with shared bathroom and it had a 'fabulous' rating. The owner had waited up for us arriving and even carried my case up to the room - such a nice guy! The room was immaculate. There were three bedrooms on our corridor and we share a dining area, kitchen and shower/bathroom. Facilities were so modern and clean, they had all the cooking and eating utensils, and a fridge. Very happy! We just headed to our beds once all settled.

Up and out the next morning. Went to a little cafe recommended by hotel for breakfast, then we hit the beach. Weather was scorching! Bathed for a bit then went a walk along the promenade. Seems very active place with people on bikes, running or playing volleyball -don't know how they can do it in this heat! For lunch we stumbled across a wee gem of a place at Port Olympic called Restaurante La Barca Del Salamanca. Here they had a 'Menu Del Dia,' which had a few options with various prices. We went for the 15euro per person deal which meant you got bread with tomato (a Catalonian speciality), olives, calamari, tuna and egg salad, gazpacho - all just to start with! Then you get to choose a main dish which we had paella, and for desert we had fruit. And the deal also included a drink - we had a beer, and a coffee, little cakes and a shot of a liquor. What a deal!!! We were absolutely stuffed, and the staff were brilliant- they work so hard in there. The place was jumping and it was just go go go! After here we intended to go a walk along in the other direction but managed about five minutes then had to lay down on beach. Stayed here for couple hours then went to the supermarket to get in some bits and bobs for at hotel to just have a light dinner. I prefer the Spanish way of dining where you have a big lunch then a lighter meal or snack at night. Had our showers then took our food and drinks up to the roof terrace to watch the sunset. This guesthouse is just so great! Sunset was amazing getting to watch it up on the terrace. We drank some desperados (beer with tequila) and ate bread with oil and alioli (garlic mayo which is just so good), Parma ham, cheese, olives - loving life! We were the only two up on the terrace which was ashame as be nice to meet other guests but then we were actually happy having time to ourselves. We then got onto the one euro Don Simon Sangria in a carton from the supermarket. Does the job! Then headed out for a night on the tiles. Just went down to the bars at the beach front. Started off in the Ice Bar which had an outside sitting area or you can pay 15euros to go into the actual ice bar. We just sat outside, had some vino, a dj was playing - quite good. After here we went to a restaurant/bar/club called Opium. There were actually still quite a few people eating at about midnight. We went inside, had few drinks and a dance. Think they started charging an entry fee of about 15euros after midnight so we had made it in just before which was grand. Stayed for couple hours then we just headed back to our roof terrace at hotel and had our own little party!

Bit fragile the next morning but got us up as really wanted to do the bus tour, and especially at the beginning of the holiday as I like to get my bearings when I go somewhere new. It was 27euros for the day and you can hop on, hop off. We started at Port Olympic and went on the green route first which takes you on the east route of Barcelona. It goes along the beaches, then to the new Barcelona and to one of Gaudi's masterpieces - La Sagrada Familia. Wow! What a stunning building and just such imaginative architecture! Would have loved to have gone inside but the queue was massive. Hadn't realised that you could book tickets online beforehand; now know for next time! So we just went to a restaurant sitting outside overlooking it at all and had some tapas. Did a deal where we got 10 tapas dishes for 18 euros each. Was ok but we didn't get to choose what tapas we would like so there were a couple options brought out that weren't something we would have liked but still ate most of it. Back on the bus, went by some more nice buildings and another Gaudi feature - Park Guell. Once we got to the city centre, we hopped off the green route and changed to the orange route which did a tour of the west of Barcelona. The centre was just buzzing with people everywhere! We started the orange tour at Casa Batillo which is another place of Gaudi's work, and again so busy to get in. We then went by the Placa Catalunya (Catalonian Square), past the Gothic Quarter - we stayed on the bus for now as decided we would come back here later and explore properly, down to the harbour area then up the mountain where there were stops for the castle and Olympic Staduim. We got off at the Museu Nacional D'Art de Catalunya. From up here the views down to the city were amazing and the building and water features were stunning! We walked down the steps here back towards the city. It was just so beautiful. Great stop to hop off at. We decided to not go ahead with any more of the stops on the tour and walked back towards Las Ramblas in the city centre. Literally couldn't move on the street here, such a busy tourist area. We walked up the street then back down towards the Gothic Quarter and to La Catedral. Just love all the buildings here, feels so authentic. We were happy with what we had seen for the day, the tour was a brilliant way to get about everywhere. We got the tour bus back to Port Olympic and walked back to our guesthouse. Definitely so glad to be staying by the beach in this little peaceful haven as it is just a bit more chilled than being in the city. Another light meal of bread, alioli and olives, then we took couple drinks down to the beach and sat down there on the sand with music from the bars in background. There are constantly men walking along the beach day and night selling and shouting, 'beer, water, coca cola....'. I got a mojito for 5euros from one guy, not bad!

The Wednesday we spent on the beach again. We bought a bat and ball set which kept us occupied for ages. Went back to one the restaurants at the port but we went to a different one than the other day. They all seem to do a menu of the day deal. This one was 10euros and was pretty much the same deal but it also included a bottle of wine. Blows my mind at how amazing the food is with this deal. But it must work as the restaurants are all mobbed. Love the culture with families all out for big lunches together and there were a couple of birthdays with the waiters coming out with cake and singing, and the whole restaurant would get involved with everyone joining in to sing happy birthday. We even joined in. We repeated the same routine as our previous large lunching where our plans to go a walk turned into lying on the beach. That's what holidays are all about anyway - eating and sunbathing! Sunset on the terrace again then we walked all along the beach promenade and into the city to Las Ramblas. Was about an half an hour walk. Really nice route to go on. Once in the city we came across a random little bar that was down a lane near the wax museum called Bosc De Les Fades. Was an enchanting little bar that made you feel like you were in a forest and there was a little area with a bridge, water feature and a pixie statue. Quite cheap for drinks too. Interesting find. Walked back after here and got some paella and a cerveza.

Another beach and lunch deal day - it's too good! Tried another traditional Catalonian dish called - Arroz Negro, which is black rice with seafood. Wasn't very appealing to look at, but I liked it - tasted like a paella. This time we walked in the other direction towards Marbella and New Marbella beach. Strolling along and I was taking some photos when I then realised that we were actually on a nudist beach. Nice little surprise! It did actually look a bit of a nicer beach. We just had a walk along then back again and sat by the next beach to it. Not quite brave enough to go fully naked! Although with the size of some of my bikinis might aswell! Sat in a cool little beach bar and had a drink, good tunes were on. This is the life! Went back to guesthouse about 7pm and tried to have a little siesta but too excited for the night ahead. When we had been out on the tour bus day I saw a poster for a club night with some of my favourite dj's playing - Tale of Us and Apollonia (who Iv seen few times now, most recently being in Ibiza at opening parties). So I went online and got us tickets. The club we went to was called L'Atlantida Beach Club, even the taxi driver when dropping us off said that it was an 'incredible club.' Was only 25euros for a ticket and you got a free drink with it. The night on this evening was called Hyte, which they have on every Thursday for the months of July and August. Was quite empty when we got there at midnight but we didn't care as it was amazing and gave us chance to have a wander around. There was a pool and the whole place was just so cool! Open air too. It soon filled up with people. Was one of my best nights out, especially music wise. Everyone was just absolutely loving life and we did not stop dancing until it finished about 6.30am! A brilliant night, what an atmosphere! We walked along the promenade on way back to hotel at 7am watching the sun rise. Don't want to leave this place!

Surprisingly felt ok next day. Got ourselves up about midday. I need to force myself up and about or I just feel worse being inside all day. And it was our last day so we hit the beach for the last time. Couldn't manage a five course lunch deal today so we just went to a place on the pier and had a fish burger and got ice creams. Huge gray clouds came rolling in so went back, packed then out for a lovely dinner together in a place overlooking the sea. Had an interesting starter here which was watermelon and tomato soup - quite like a gazpacho. So yummy! Be trying to make this one when back home. Lovely last supper.

Up at 7am the next morning to head back home to London. Contrast to the morning before when we were rolling in the door at this time. As usual the holiday just went in far too quickly. It was just the most perfect few days in such a brilliant city that literally has everything you could ever need. And would definitely recommend Bed and Beach Guesthouse to stay at. Great little find and lovely staff. It was just even so good for me and Adam. We had such a ball and just so nice actually getting to spend time together.

.


Additional photos below
Photos: 112, Displayed: 31


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb