La Virgen Del Camino to San Martin del Camino - 19 km


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León
June 30th 2015
Published: July 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Riding the Camino with Only 1 GearRiding the Camino with Only 1 GearRiding the Camino with Only 1 Gear

Brave Cyclst from Germany
Spent a fairly pleasant (but very hot) night in the Municipal Albergue in La Virgen Del Camino. Had a quick breakfast of leftover cheese, yogurt, fruit and bread from the night before plus cafe con lecher from a vending machine (which was actually quite good!).

Said "goodbye" to Roman, a nice man from Germany who was riding the Camino on a bike with only one gear. This almost seems impossible given the topography of the Camino and the incredible ups and downs encountered every day! Roman explained that while he participates in many bike races and owns a number of bikes, he is riding this one for "sentimental" reasons - as is often heard on the Camino. Not everything may make sense to the average person; but it does to the Pilgrim....

The walk today was another long, hot one. The sun, as it always seems to be, was relentless. We decided to stop after about 19 km as the heat was getting to us. Found a friendly hostel on the way into San Martin del Camino - complete wth swimming pool, beautiful gardens and a huge variety of chickens running around freely in the large yard. Didn't feel like eating the usual "pilgrim menu" (too hot) - and ordered what was supposed to be a pizza but ended up resembling a burnt hot dog on toast - yuck! This had to be the worst thing I tried to eat in Spain - thankfully, 99.9% of the good is fantastic!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Smart Way to Avoid the SunSmart Way to Avoid the Sun
Smart Way to Avoid the Sun

.... Because there seems to be very little rain ...
"Interesting" Pizza with Hot Dog Topping"Interesting" Pizza with Hot Dog Topping
"Interesting" Pizza with Hot Dog Topping

Definitely not an example of Spain's fine food!


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb