18Kilometres to León; Easy Peasy.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » León
October 10th 2016
Published: October 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Crossed the Rio Elsa at 7am this morning and set off for León. We arrived at Villarente only to find nothing open, but after a walk along the edge of a busy road, l spotted a panadería and we went and bought some mini croissants for breakfast. The baker told us about a cafe a kilometre away so the caffeine hit occurred there. Dave, our English friend, arrived for his morning cup of tea and commented that now he believed we really walked. He never normally sees us during the day as we leave earlier and walk at a good pace. At all other times he walks into a destination to see John enjoying a beer and me reading the guide. We do walk !

The rest of the walk to León was fairly mundane and involved a long walk through suburban streets. I went to the Benedictine Alburgue to buy a second credential as the original will only get me a few more days. We then found our hotel, next to the train station, over the river from the old town.

It's pretty good and has a view over the river. I need to do some washing so
Viillarente BridgeViillarente BridgeViillarente Bridge

Clearly built in a time when water flowed freely.
I might look for a laundrette or see if I can pay here. The Orange Store also needs a visit to recharge the phone. Busy, busy !

This afternoon I went for a ride on the Tourist Train ( or Choo Choo Train as it's known in the Sherry household ), and so with 100%attendance per visit to León, it should now be viewed as a tradition. John didn't see the importance of this ride so he went to the Cathedral ; a great alternative.

We went to the Pantheon Museum at San Isidoro an it's quite an amazing place. Unfortunately, it is strictly no photos , so it's memories only. I'm currently doing a load of washing and John has gone off to buy some shoes. I find handwashing socks smeared with vasoline isn't very effective so this should do the trick.

I'm not sure what's happening for dinner tonight but there is a pilgrim mass at San Isidoro at 7.30am tomorrow and I'm considering going. We'll see!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement


A Stall Working On The Honesty SystemA Stall Working On The Honesty System
A Stall Working On The Honesty System

Take what you like and leave what you think is fair. I believe it really works.
Camino SignCamino Sign
Camino Sign

From a distance I thought it was a koala; it's a lion from León.
Spanish ParkingSpanish Parking
Spanish Parking

Not dissimilar to Italy.
The Badlands.The Badlands.
The Badlands.

These city outskirts seem to go on and on.
The old city walls. The old city walls.
The old city walls.

The smaller outer deterrent and the larger interior wall.
Santa Maria ChurchSanta Maria Church
Santa Maria Church

Near the Benedictines and closely associated with them.
The New PassportThe New Passport
The New Passport

Won't need it for a few days. Jon thinks I'm a stamp collector but it's more as a visual record of where you visited.
Dressing Up The BuildingsDressing Up The Buildings
Dressing Up The Buildings

This is pretty common in Spain and is a lovely way to dress up drab; although there's nothing drab about this building.
León's CathedralLeón's Cathedral
León's Cathedral

An amazing Romanesque church.
Alert! Donkeys In The PlazaAlert! Donkeys In The Plaza
Alert! Donkeys In The Plaza

These guys had walked from Finisterre and were continuing on to Switzerland ; you do the math.
Potential Gifts For Ezra.Potential Gifts For Ezra.
Potential Gifts For Ezra.

I just can't choose!
4th Century Walls.....4th Century Walls.....
4th Century Walls.....

....from the ChooChoo Train.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb