BURGOS


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León » Burgos
October 4th 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Statue Of El Cid
Today and as a matter of fact yesterday and today were Cidiano days (Celebrating El Cid of Burgos)...There were street fares, cafes and restaurants, and tapas bars (Except restaurants tonight) were opened till late, the families were roaming the streets...The general atmosphere of the city was very celebratory...The Burgosians (???) love their El Cid...They refer to him as Mio Cid (My lord)...I checked out Burgos' main cathedral...It is one of the largest cathedrals of Spain and it is absolutely beautiful in the form of Gothic architecture...El Cid and his beloved wife Dona Jimena are interred there. The Sunday mass was in his honor...So he was very much alive in this past two days...Many people were in the crusader costumes...There were even enactments of some crusade battles...This is pro-crusade land...
Initially when i got off the train the city did not impress me...It was all very new, dry, and no vegetation...But as the bus drove on, I noticed the streets getting narrower and older...
I walked the Espolon Esplanade sided with the Beautiful Linden trees who connect and join each other and form this amazing canopy...Walked the narrow city streets and climbed up the Castillo Hill, where this maze like medieval city
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

Espolon Esplanade lined by the Linden Trees
with all its churches, the surrounding hills and farmlands, becomes a little more clear...
Last night I had a Castilian Lamb stew dish...It was amazing...What can I say I always have to end with food...
Talk to you later...
M

p.s.
I also have to add, that the restaurants in Burgos are closed between Lunch & Dinner. They open for dinner around 7:00 pm. On Domingo (Sunday) shops and restaurants are not open. I am not sure if that is the case for all of Spain...So tonight I ended up having Turkish Donner Kabab for dinner. One of the few restaurants open on Sunday night...
M again


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

The joining of the Linden Trees
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

The Burgos Cathedral
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Castilla Hill
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

Castilla Hill
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

Plazas of Burgos
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Narrow Streets Of Burgos
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

Cidiano Fare at the Santa Maria Plaza adjacent to the Cathedral


Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb