In the Footsteps of Don Quixote


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha
June 20th 2019
Published: June 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

We covered quite a lot of ground today! We departed from Madrid this morning and watched as the landscape changed from arid blonde plains and olive groves, to rocky (even snow-dotted!) mountain tops, to the teal coastline of the Costa del Sol.

We had a brief stop in the region of La Mancha where Cervantes was inspired to write Don Quixote. We found manuscripts of the novel, an original letterpress, and statues of the errant knight all around the adorable cobblestone courtyard.

By afternoon, we had reached our main destination of the day: the palace of La Alhambra. Built by Charles V for his lover, we marveled at the Muslim decor on the insides of the palace: geometric designs and bright colors are used in lieu of images of nature, lest they attempt to replicate God's work. Tiny, intricate designs in the tiles and sandstone easily rendered the soaring palace walls as delicate as the veins of leaves. We found reflecting pools, a secret stained glass window, and acres of gardens with indigenous flowers. Oh, and a beautiful bride and her stately groom were having their photoshoot around the courtyard, alcoves, and balconies. It was as if we had been invited guests, so we quite enjoyed the elegance of her lovely lace train set against the marble of the palace floor and the ancient fountains. The palace was absolutely magical!

When we arrived at our hotel that evening, there was plenty of time for the girls to swim in the pool, we enjoyed a buffet dinner and were eager for a good night's sleep after a long day of travel.








Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement




Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb