Into the mountains


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Cantabria » Santander
September 20th 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Having given up on the sunshine ever returning we try our hand at some mountain climbing and drive into the Picos de Europa, taking the mountain pass an impressive sight meets us as we cross the peak (that and the road abruptly ending leading to some dicey ´offroad´moments). Ignoring the arm wrestling contest that occupies the town square on saturday night we bed early to rise for the mountain trek in the morn.

And what a sight it is, a sheer wall of rock rising 700m above. The weather isn´t kind and some of our fellow climbers seem to be expecting more of a sunday stroll, we note several pairs of high heels and one skirt that doesn´t look like it was dreamt up by North Face. That said Stu´s extra layer in case the weather turns nasty involves a pair of swim shorts ... you can almost hear Michael Burke on the episode of 999.

We leave the sunday strollers behind, head past the snow line and get very very wet.

And then we chance our arm and head to the coast .... and whatdoyaknow, the sunshine returns at last. Unpack the bbq & uncork the wine, we´re back in business.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb