10 Off The Beaten Track Places To Visit In Tenerife


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
January 23rd 2019
Published: January 23rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Tenerife, one of the most popular holiday destinations in Europe and forms part of Spain’s Canary Islands.
Although most visitors come to enjoy the fantastic beaches, resorts, and nightlife, not forgetting the fantastic Tenerife weather , there is so much more to do and see in Tenerife.
Here are 10 interesting and exciting things to do on a holiday in Tenerife:

Some of the best hiking trails in Europe can be found in Tenerife with spectacular walking routes that run through the foothills of Mount Teide.
Pico del Teide is Spain’s highest mountain and a UNESCO world heritage site that boasts the third largest volcano in the world. Witness the other worldly landscape of bizarre rock formations and twisted pinnacles formed by cooled down lava. Adventurous hikers can climb to the summit 3,718 metres above sea level while the less active can choose to take a cable car that goes up to 3,500 meters.

If hiking is not your idea of enjoying your holiday, you can take the ferry to La Gomera, a neighbouring island, and hike through Garajonay National Park up to Alto de Garajonay, the highest point on the island.

Tenerife is also home to the largest solar observatory in the world, the Teide Observatory. At an altitude of 2,390 metres it is one of the best places in Europe to star gaze. You can take a cable car at sunset and enjoy a night of stargazing through one of the best solar telescopes in Europe.

If you like to explore you can visit the charming historic buildings on quaint cobbled alleyways. A visit to the UNESCO world heritage listed La Laguna is a pleasant way to spend a day away from the seaside resorts and beaches.

At the natural rock pools of Garachico you can take a break from the ocean and enjoy a refreshing swim in fresh water.

If you like history, the old town of La Orotava is a cultural and artistic gem with interesting Spanish architecture dating back to the 16th Century. There are also many quaint shops and outdoor cafes on the colourful streets to keep you entertained.

In Teno Rural Park there is an ancient volcanic massif with a fascinating landscape forged by erosion and covered with exposed volcanic dykes and rocks that create a gorgeous panorama. The park is also a cultural and ecological treasure that is home to many animal species like the osprey.

The picturesque hamlet of Masca in the ravines of Teno Rural Park is a fascinating place to view the natural architecture of the islands. The small 18th Century church in Masca is especially delightful to see and the Masca ravine, one of the most spectacular on Tenerife, runs all the way down to the sea.
By taking an organised excursion you can hike all the way down to the beach where a boat will be waiting to collect you.

For an entirely different experience, head to Los Gigantes to sunbathe on a black sandy beach under imposing cliffs away from the crowded beaches of the other resorts.

A spectacular spot for whale watching is on the south west coast of Tenerife where you can see more than 26 different ocean species frolicking just off the coast in the wild ocean. Look out for baleen whales, dolphins, pilot whales, killer whales, and rare blue whales. Seeing these gentle giants in their natural environment is an amazing experience.

Eternally popular Tenerife is one of the Canary Island's most popular holiday resorts famous for its spectacular beaches and pristine water. But there is much more to Tenrife than just sea and sand if you care to explore further. Make sure you visit Tenerife Forum for more interesting info about the island.

Male sure you join our Tenerife Forum Community for the most current news and views.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb