Greetings from Donostia!! - First night


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » San Sebastián
January 21st 2017
Published: January 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

To whoever thinks overnight plane rides are great, why?



My experience was a little bit weird, in my opinion. I got on the giant plane and right at the beginning I could tell it would be a long and boring flight for me. I couldn't sleep, even with a Tylenol PM. So I watched a movie, Toy Story 2 hehe. I just noticed some weird things on board, like I would turn around and some (actually most people had like 2-3 seats for themselves. Why? I didn't understand. Were people moving around and I didn't know? But there I was crammed in and chlostrophpobic with all my stuff. I can't complain but it was a little weird. Good news is, the flight was more like 9.5 hours when I expected it to be 12ish.



The Madrid airport is MASSIVE and not only that but it is SO CONFUSING. The thing that freaked me out the whole time I was there is that they do not give you your gate number until an hour before boarding time. Doesn't seem like a big deal but when theres an airport that massive with a terminal bigger than a couple football fields, its nice to know where you're going so you can sit down and wait. I asked about 3 ladies to help me with my gate # but they just said "Honey its too early" or "Check the board" or "You'll know in an hour!"Good news bad news, I made it here.



The plane to San Sebastián was SO tiny. It was like an old fashion plane almost with propellers. Super loud take off. Like 2 seats on 2 sides but only 18 rows. Cute and tiny. When I arrived to SS, I stepped off the plane on stairs and I was so happy 😊 . My bags all came out immediately & I'm so thankful for that because a lot of people have issues with their baggage getting lost.



I called Santiago to pick me up and when he did I have to say he was maybe one of the sweetest men I've met. He drove me out away from the airport and into the city and gave me driving tours of all the cool stuff. He then took me to the flat agency guy, Iban. He escorted me up to our room, and gave me the whole schveele on the room and the rules.



Myself and my roommate later went out initially to get me a new blanket, but she ended up taking me to the beautiful beach front which not to be cliche, it was actually breathtaking how beautiful and picturesque the place is. I didn't feel like I was really there, like I was inside some perfect painting or something. She showed me old town and some of the cooler parts of it and we stopped at a Pintxos bar.







I love the concept of Pintxos/Tapas because you go in, ask for a plate, take what you want, and pay. The men who run them are all super cool too.



Another place we went to was in Gros, this tea place. it was funny because it was a coffee shop with tea and all you'd expect in your normal Starbucks or caribou what have you, but this one there were people eating cheese plates, pintxos, drinking beer, wine, but also tea and coffee. It was like the whole mix of moods. But I liked seeing that culture here.





Lets reflect on how many hours I have been awake.



Woke up at around 8AM central time on Friday the 20th.



Did not sleep at all on the plane



So Ive been awake roughly around 36 hours?



With that being said,



Goodnight






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb