Gernika to Lezama day 6 21K


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » Lezama
May 7th 2017
Published: May 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Gernika was a special town due to two people Picasso and Franco. During the Spanish American war Franco ordered Germany to use one of the first "Saturation Bombing" techniques on the town of Gernika which obligated the town, while people tried to escape the burning rubble they were strafed by Aircraft killing 90% of the population. Consequently everything in town is new and there are very few relics from history survived. After this attack Picasso painted one his most acclaimed works depicting the horrors of war.

From Gernika the Camino takes a severe uphill turn for about 3K, reaching a peak of about 1,800ft. The trail was a mix of unpaved gravel roads, woodland path's and road ways. I like this section because after the steep incline the elevation the Camino remained somewhat level with great views of pristine farms, and pastureland. Walking was easy with the exception of the seriously painful shin splint and heal bruise, I have wrapped the shin splint, helping somewhat but still very noticeable with every step.

I am seeing more Pilgrims walking in groups or as individuals, I begin to recognize some of the same people. The previous days I saw fewer than 10 people the entire time on the trail. There are several places where locals put out a card table and sell drinks, fruit, candy and bread. Its very pleasant with partly sunny sky's and the temperature in the high 60's and no wind. This section is 21K or about 14 miles (with small excursions). It takes about 6 hours to arrive at Lezama, which is a suburb of Bilbao. Its very industrial and not visually attractive, many choose to get on the light rail here and buzz on in to Bilbao. Our accommodations are a B & B just off the Camino by 300 yards. Its run by a very nice your couple who are great hosts and speak some english. Kris continues to spread Aloha and leaves one her Northface jackets with our host.

It's very odd to Kris and I that we check in around 4:30pm, after walking all day want to shower eat and go to bed. Without exception EVERY B & B serves dinner starting at 9-11pm. Its like who eats dinner at 11PM? We are on a fully paid plan and don't want to waste $$ on food outside the plan but who can stay awake? We decide from this day on we will eat at 2-3pm where we can and screw the 9-11pm feeding. Still in pain but getting better. The next two days are less miles.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb