Zarautz and Getaria - surf country!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » Getaria
February 3rd 2013
Published: February 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It was another grey day in Pamplona so we decided to head down to the coast to see if the sun was shining there. It was!!

Just to the west of San Sebastian is the town of Zarautz. We parked up there and headed straight towards the sea. The waves were rolling in and the surfers were loving it. The public toilets were closed though so we had to go into a cafe immediately. There were surfboards to rent everywhere and pictures of surfers doing their thing. It was all quite quirky in a way, which was further illustrated by the bizarre sculptures along the promenade.

The prom continues all the way to neighbouring Getaria. It's a lovely walk and many people were taking advantage of the sunshine. There were a lot of cyclists out enjoying the break in the weather too. It was about 5km each way in the end but the scenery was lovely and, not sure if we've mentioned this before, the sun was shining!!

When we reached Getaria we loved the Basque architecture and the general feel of the place. It's a fabulous little town crammed onto a rocky peninsula and capped by the San Salvador church which straddles the main pedestrian thoroughfare. We found a bench in the sun with a nice view of the harbour where we sat and had our packed lunch. It was such a novelty being able to do that!

The walk back to Zarautz was mostly in the shade, a problem with the winter sunshine. It disappears behind the mountains far too early!! Then we had a quick look around the streets of the old town before returning to the car.

The journey back to Pamplona was uneventful. On our way downhill the mountains were covered in snow and it was beginning to encroach on the side of the road. We even saw several snowploughs on their way out and about. Luckily their services were not required anywhere where we were driving! Most of it had cleared by the time we went back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Basque SignsBasque Signs
Basque Signs

Nothing was in Spanish!


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb