Fizzer fireworks


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Balearic Islands » Minorca
October 15th 2006
Published: October 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I woke Jacko up in the morning for breakfast and the jet lag had obviously taken it’s toll because for a second there he had no idea where he was or who I was. With the hotel booking we got breakfast and dinner included so we stocked up, had a swim and then headed down to the cricket ground.

Originally the format was for five over games, but two teams had withdrawn bringing the amount of teams down to six. Five of the teams were from various parts of England and the sixth a local Menorca side. It was decided that the teams would be split into two pools of three teams, and that we would play against these two teams in a ten over match, to decide on semi finalists.

Our first game was against the Liverpool based “Northern Nomads”. We batted first, resplendent in our orange uniforms and scored 90. We were in trouble early on, until Fizzer smashed it scoring 37. Once a batsman reached 25 they had to retire and could come in at the end of the innings, but Fizzer was the last batsman. I chipped in with 16 (even managed to hit a couple of sixes). It’s a hard game for the bowlers, because not only do you only have 4 fielders but wides and no-balls are worth 4 runs and have to be rebowled. This proved our downfall as we bowled a few too many wides, and they won 2 wickets down.

Another game was played from the other pool whilst we had a few beers in the sun. We then organized a friendly with players from all teams joining in. Pity this wasn’t an actual match as I hit 20 in an over with two 4’s and two 6’s (must have been the beers). Wilco and AB also tonked it around for the opposing side. Oh and Wilco bowled out Brookey, something that he was reminded of by Paul for the rest of the week.

After the cricket we went back to the hotel, swam for a while, ate and then drove into Mao to sample the nightlife. We started off at a few quiet bars watching some football, and shooting the sh*t. After a while we decided to find the night clubs. There were a few side by side so we went into the first one, after about half an hour of songs that all sounded like Shakira to me, we went into another that was playing better music, we stayed in here until some edgy little Spanish guys took offence to us trying to talk to some local girls. This made us move to the third where we stayed for a while longer before taxing back to the hotel. Some of us a little worse for wear, thought about sleeping on the grass outside. Thankfully that didn’t happen because the mosquitoes would have savaged us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb