WHite Towns of Andalucia


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia
July 30th 2015
Published: July 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Having crossed the Med from Tangiers to Algeciras we hired a car and began our second holiday in Andalucia. Five days with a car took us around a variety of the White Towns and a day on the Costa de la Luz, south of Cadiz. Enjoyed being up in the hills visiting and staying in some small towns and villages. All seem to wind down steep cobbled streets with pretty whitewashed buildings, flowerpots and very tight corners to negotiate in a car. Small local bullrings, tapas for lunch and very quiet. Grazelma village had had its bull run through the town two days before we were visited and there were still big barriers to ensure the bulls only went down certain streets.

Enjoyed some walks in the Parque Natural Sierra de Grazelma, along a river, down a Roman road and up into the hills. Enjoyed sitting eating lunch out in the hills watching huge griffon vultures circling way up overhead and the occasional peregrine falcon flying past, and a few bee-eaters sitting on telegraph wires too. Did a guided tour of the Roman ruins at Ocuris, bubbly archaeologist showed us around the hill top ruins some of which are in amazing condition, particularly the mausoleum and the baths. The drive down to the coast took us through dense cork oak forests, many trees have their bark removed in the lower part for cork.

Ronda town is special with its magnificent “New” bridge spanning the very steep and deep gorge that separates one part of town from another. Enjoyed a tour of the famous bullring there, impressive building and good museum, gave a real sense of what it would be like to be out there with massive creatures behind the strongly gated stables. Wandering around the old town is pleasant with its grand buildings and narrow lanes. Shockingly touristy after all of the other pretty places we had visited.

Even more touristy was the coast! Packed with people, of course. Enjoyed walking out to the Faro de Trafalgar lighthouse and looking down on the bay where the Battle of Trafalgar had taken place. Surprisingly little information about the battle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb